+1

Above Average Cobia Fishing OBX

I had the oppurtunity yesterday to fish for some Cobia with Capt. Ben Shepherd http://aboveaveragesportfishing.com....stingprod.com/ out of Hatteras North Carolina.
    We departed Teach's Lair around 1000 hrs to a stiff cool NE breeze of 15-20 kts, air temp was about 52 and water was around 67 degrees. On board were Jon, Shaun, Jason, Captain Ben, his mate Lauren and myself. We fished a couple miles off shore from Hatteras Inlet to Hatteras Light, sight casting bucktails and live eels to Cobia schools and at sea turtles that were holding some cobia under them. It was a great day and we caught seven Cobia and kept four. Jon and Shaun caught a 45 and 43lb that qualified for North Carolina Citations. It was a fun day with plenty of action, Ben and Lauren did a great job of putting us on the fish, Ben said he saw about 45 Cobia through out the day. We were back at the dock around 1700 and back on the road to Virgina with plenty of cobia fillets by 1800. I know what I am having for dinner tonight! here are some pictures.

+1
    I was impressed with the fish until I got to Hunter. That is where I really dropped my jaw. Me likey. One day...... One day

As always great photos and thanks for sharing but with the closure of my fishing groungs in the gulf I will need to stay inshore down here and I have yet to find a species I need a penn for in the marsh. My bait tackle will have to become my target species tackle now. This last too long I may have to take a trip up the east coast there. Looks like a good time with all of the variety of species. I just saw the pictures of one of my fellow captains caught a 90 plus pounder. He is 5'2" and the fish was from over his head to the deck. I will try to get a picture. Not my fish but impressive. They are all over down here also right now along with ramarkable tuna numbers.

Yea thats about what it is off the beaches here in Jax. Boats just swarm to the manta rays lookin for the cobia, some big ones have been caught. One in the newspaper I think said was 91lbs.

+1
    Thanks for the replies. I am stuffed, I had some company over for dinner and we grilled some Cobia. MMM MMM Good!

Thread Information