Thread: 2002 Virage

2002 Virage

On the virage i just got the guy i bought it from said he took it to his "polaris guy" and the guy told him that the breaker on top of the battery tends to fry the computer when the breaker trips so he disconnected it and put a fuse inside the breaker housing. This didn't sound right to me but im new to polaris pwc's any thoghts?

Also is the digital display supposed to stay on all the time?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is this a fuel injected or carburetor engine?

2 or 3 cylinder?

Well, the breaker is not supposed to trip, unless a short or electrical failure occurs. For many owners, the Reset button just never activates.

The circuit breaker can fail if it cracks and allows water and corrosion inside, but it is a simple item to replace.

The main issue with a fuse is that you need to carry spares with you on the water. If the fuse blows, you need to be able to replace it to get going again. The Reset button is a simple push to reset and restore power. That is why Polaris used a circuit breaker.

It should be easy to purchase and install a new Reset button. Not expensive.

The MFI display should always show the clock. It has a low power sleep mode that begins after five minutes of no activity.

Click the links below for more good info

It's a fuel injected 2 cylinder

the guy I bought it from said he had to to a new brain it it because his polaris guy said it fried his when the breaker tripped. I figured that would be an easy part to find. But I cleaned up the grounds and the eem pins on the connector and Its still has the lack of power and the sputtering and stalling i talked about the other day.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamey1985 View Post
    the guy I bought it from said he had to to a new brain it it because his Polaris guy said it fried his when the breaker tripped.

I figured that would be an easy part to find. But I cleaned up the grounds and the eem pins on the connector and

It still has the lack of power and the sputtering and stalling I talked about the other day.
    It works better to keep all questions related to the same ski in the same thread. Makes it easier for us to keep track of what else has been said, or done.

Previous thread was ==> Help please
    Did you replace the solenoid?You have a Virage i

Was the EMM actually replaced with a new EMM?

What repairs were done, other than messing with the Reset button?

You will need to work through the diagnostics. Start with the basics;
    Fuel pressure?

Voltage on the White/Red wires?
    (do not unplug an injector to test this)

CPS ohms?

Unplug the TPS. Does it start and idle properly?

Read the service codes from the EMM using the LED tool.

Then clear the codes, run it again, and read the codes again.

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

As far as I know the emm was replaced, I didnt replace the starter solenoid yet, not sure the best place to get parts for it. The heads were replaced because one was blown or something the guy i bought it from said. And that is as far as i know all that has been done to it. Besides the breaker jerry rig.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamey1985 View Post
    As far as I know the emm was replaced,

I didn't replace the starter solenoid yet, not sure the best place to get parts for it.

The heads were replaced because one was blown or something the guy i bought it from said.

And that is as far as i know all that has been done to it. Besides the breaker jerry rig.
    The only reason the heads would ever need replacing is if something mechanically failed inside the engine, and the metal debris pummeled the pistons and cylinder heads. In which case at the very least the engine repair would have new pistons and rings installed. And possibly a whole lot more.

Can you can find out more about exactly what happened to the motor? It might shed some light.

I hope that whatever happened to damage the engine did not also damage the injector tips.

Have you checked cylinder compression?
    Both spark plugs out while checking compression, throttle held wide open.

Was the EMM replaced with a new EMM, or a used part?

Did the shop install matching injectors, or re-use the old injectors?

If the original injectors were re-used, did the shop transfer the injector fuel flow compensation maps from the old EMM to the replacement EMM?

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Idk those are good questions I will have to talk to the guy and find out,I'll post when i find out Thanx

Thread Information