Simple question...

'05 GR1300R: Current RMPs = 7110

Question: How low is to low on RMPs and when should I start to worry? I was turning 6980 in 90* temps last month (and was getting worried that was to low.) Now I'm in the mid 70's temps and I'm turning the 7110. I'm thinking about making some changes that I KNOW will cut some R's I'm just wondering how low I can safely go???

7150 + or - 50

??? I was under the impression that 7200 was prime and that 7100 was fine... However I've heard other accounts that 7000 was fine also??? If that's the case I'm good... If not then I need to make other changes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPkiller
    ??? I was under the impression that 7200 was prime and that 7100 was fine... However I've heard other accounts that 7000 was fine also??? If that's the case I'm good... If not then I need to make other changes.

That is a hard question to nail --- there isn't a golden answer to that because each ski is going to find it's optimal performance at a slightly different RPM. The range is most commonly 7100-7200 but everyones props are different, compressions are different, altitude, weather, ect...

This is one of those things that everyone has to figure out sort of on their own, kind of like the damn EFI controller and all the wacky settings that different skis run with. However, we know the baseline range to stay inside of.

+1
    Rxp killer,

I have found that my ski turns the highest speeds around 7080 or 90 which can drop down to around 7030 to 40 hot and still run the same speeds.

Saying that, if you are running those lower rpms in a straight line it is not a problem . But, if you are racing someone around sweeping corners it will bog the motor down when you turn your handlebars. And a guy who is turning 7250 or up will drive buy in the corners.

I went from the lower rpms to 7280 and am about .6 tents slower on top than my friend but I get to my speeds in a hurry. And corner to corner it is just awesome.

This weekend at the FRS rally in Jax they are only having drag races. I am sure they will not be long races so I am setting up for 7350 rpms.

Hope that helps.

Thread Information