Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Running rough after jet pump and carb. removal

Hi, I have a 1996 sl700. I removed the jet pump yesterday to check the seals, bearings, and impeller. All looked good so I put it back together. then I removed the carb and cleaned it internally. I set the high speed to 1 1/2 and low speed 5/8.

At low speeds and idle it sounds like it is missing and running real rough in the water. Out of the water it sound low but there is so much wird noise coimg out of the exhaust and jet pump. It was vibrating and sounding wired. Could I have installed the drive shaft wrong or the jet pump? At first when installing the drive shaft I tried to turn it by hand and it wouldn't go so I removed it and installed it again. Before I tightened the bolts I tries to move the drive shaft by hand again and it didn't budge. Then I tightened the bolts and it moved perfectly.

It sounded like it was missing and the exhaust in the water was louder then it has ever been. It was annoying.

It did however go really fast and at high speeds seemed fine.

I am planning on rebuilding the carbs.

Do you guy's think that it is a problem with the carb or the drive shaft and impeller????

Please help.

I could post a video it that would be helpful.

Thanks

I was just looking at the parts diagram of the drive shaft and there is a o ring that goes behind the bumper on the impeller side. When I removed the shaft the o ring was located on the shaft in front of the bumper???

What way does it go?

Any Ideas?????

Please help!!

Should I remove the jet pump again?????????

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sebas54 View Post
    I was just looking at the parts diagram of the drive shaft and there is a o ring that goes behind the bumper on the impeller side.

When I removed the shaft the o ring was located on the shaft in front of the bumper???

What way does it go?
    The O-ring style seal goes around the drive shaft to seal the nose of the impeller to the shaft. It sits just against or just inside the nose of the impeller, depending on the seal shape. It's job is to keep the water out of the splines, and keep the grease in.

The drive shaft end bumper goes on the very end of the shaft. There should be one on each end of the drive shaft.

Also, the drive shaft only goes together one way. Don't get the ends swapped around.

...1996 sl700.

I removed the jet pump yesterday to check the seals, bearings, and impeller. All looked good so I put it back together...

At low speeds and idle it sounds like it is missing and running real rough in the water.

Out of the water it sound low but there is so much wird noise coming out of the exhaust and jet pump. It was vibrating and sounding wired.

Could I have installed the drive shaft wrong or the jet pump?

At first when installing the drive shaft I tried to turn it by hand and it wouldn't go so I removed it and installed it again. Before I tightened the bolts I tries to move the drive shaft by hand again and it didn't budge. Then I tightened the bolts and it moved perfectly.

It sounded like it was missing and the exhaust in the water was louder then it has ever been. It was annoying.

It did however go really fast and at high speeds seemed fine.

... then I removed the carb and cleaned it internally...

I am planning on rebuilding the carbs.

Do you guy's think that it is a problem with the carb or the drive shaft and impeller?...
    Before you re-installed the jet pump, did you put some waterproof marine grease inside the splines of the impeller cavity, and the engine drive shaft coupler cavity?

That grease not only lubricates the splines, it reduces the metallic ringing sound that the drive system makes when it is running without water.

Check that all the sections of the jet pump are properly mated to the next section. It is possible to have a section not fully inserted into its mate, which is not good.

Regarding the loud exhaust in the water;
    Check that the exhaust water injection screen and orifice are clear. The exhaust system uses water injected into the exhaust stream to muffle the exhaust.

Also check that all the exhaust hoses and clamps are secure and fully seated in position.

You took the carbs apart and cleaned them, but installed no new parts. Is that correct?

Yes I greased everything very librally. I did remove the carbs cleaned them without any new parts. Could it be that carbs. causing this? I will check the jet pump to make sure it is all seated right but I double checked when reinstalling. When I removed the shaft the o ring was located on/around the drive shaft and I left it there so I didn't confuse the ends because the o ring goes to the impeller.

Somthing else that I neglected to say is that on one of the lips when removing had a hair line fractor. It wass the inside lip so I didn't think much of it.

Can I remove the jet pump and turn the ski on with it removed?

It still made that wired sound when going over waves.

Could the coupler be bad on the engine?

What should I do? Should I remove the pump again. I double checked the carb setting and they were good.

Thanks

I will try and take a video tomorrow before I remove everything

"The O-ring style seal goes around the drive shaft to seal the nose of the impeller to the shaft. It sits just against or just inside the nose of the impeller, depending on the seal shape"

SO Does it go on the drive shaft or just in front of it and sits at the bottom of the impeller in front of the bumper???

here a pic from the manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	187697  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by k47
    "The O-ring style seal goes around the drive shaft to seal the nose of the impeller to the shaft.

It sits just against or just inside the nose of the impeller, depending on the seal shape"
    SO Does it go on the drive shaft or just in front of it and sits at the bottom of the impeller in front of the bumper???
    The exploded diagram is misleading.

The seal goes in front of the splines inside the impeller, to keep the water out of the splines.

Some impeller models have a ribbed seal that fits in the very front of the impeller. Others have an O-ring shape, and it fits/seals just inside the front opening of the impeller.

In both cases, it is well forward of the splines on the drive shaft.

Look inside the nose of the impeller. You should be able to see the smooth and slightly larger front section where the seal fits, forward of where the splines begin.

The only thing down at the end of the drive shaft is that small rubber bumper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 5131371 impeller front with PN label.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	187719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris 1996 SLTX jet pump close-up (impeller splines).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	187722  

So what do you think is going on? I installed it step by step from the manual.

Can the engine be started with the jet pump removed?

Thanks again!!

+1
    ...Can the engine be started with the jet pump removed?
    Absolutely!

And with the jet pump and drive shaft out, there is no time limit on how long you can run it on the garden hose.

Just make sure the hose water is properly cooling all cylinders
    Check the cylinder temps with your hand from time to time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information