Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Gp1200 new ENGINE INSTALL

Finally got the new engine in today, have a couple pre-install questions....
    99 Gp1200

#1 - what exact gaskets will I need for this install ?
    or can I use any of the OLD ones ?

#2 - can I install any of the parts on to the engine BEFORE dropping it back in ?

#3 - I think that's all, but PLEASE feel free to add anything that could help me out - this is my first install and don't to fudge up a $ 1600 motor !!!!!

THANKS in ADVANCE!

EDIT - the year

what year ski? I would not chance using old gaskets,also have your carbs been gone through?if not you may lose the new motor quick,are you using stock oil injection or premixing?if using stock oil injection you may want new lines and make sure your oil check valves are not clogged.When i did my 1200 i placed the intake and carbs ,starter front cover on the motor before installing .you will need exhaust gaskets and intake gaskets and probably carb gaskets and maybe carb rebuild kits,not worth losing your motor due to bad carbs,more info would help,year of ski,what is already on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Finally got the new engine in today, have a couple pre-install questions....

#1 - what gaskets will I need for this install ?
    or can I use any of the OLD ones ?

#2 - can I install any of the parts on to the engine BEFORE dropping it back in ?

#3 - I think that's all, but PLEASE feel free to add anything that could help me out - this is my first install and don't to fudge up a $ 1600 motor !!!!!

THANKS in ADVANCE!
    #1 - Are you asking brand or which exact gaskets you will need?

#2 - I installed everything but the J exhaust pipe but while dropping the engine back in, I realized I could have done it with it installed. Depends on if you have an engine lift or if YOU are the engine lift in my opinion If you have an engine lift or can rig something up, try and hook up the starter wires before you drop it all the way in...MUCH easier

#3 - Just take your time, don't rush anything...if you have a question, take a break, post it up here, and wait for an answer! Better to take an evening or two and piece it together correctly than knock it out real quickly incorrectly!

+1
    I thought I would need the SBT install gasket kit, for this, but have been told to stay away from theirs. Im guessing all the gaskets in that particular kit is the ones I need, but they dont tell u exactly which ones or I would cross ref and go to a dealer or order some where else online....

As far as the carbs, I havent rebuilt them, the looked good, but looks dont matter, I know. Any way to confirm if they will need rebuilt for sure just yet ?

One of my old reeds is oily and dirty, but in good shape, the other 2 spotless. I thought I would clean it up and use it. ( with what is recommended ? )

I am replacing the entire pump assembly with a new one too.
    I figured this wont need anything special - or does it ?

There is nothing on the motor, except the coupler.

Im going to try to rig up some kind of lift cause this mofo is heavier than I remember when I took the old one out!

I think I got all the info you guys asked, if not I'll edit -

# 3 - youre exactly right on that one BULL - Im probably going to be afraid to even try to start it.... lol

THANKS a bunch!

check valves go out in the carbs,look for creases,you can look on boats .net at parts diagrams and see exactly what gaskets you need.did you take the carbs apart?if not i would and look at the check valves and needle and seat,better to buy the kits then second guess because that can cost you a motor.

+1
    I just cleaned my reeds with a basic carb cleaner and lightly got all the debris/dust off. Not sure if this is the proven method but it worked fine. If you have bent reeds, make sure you flip them around so they are flush to the cage.

As for carbs I always refer to Bill's writeup about common issues:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62751

I think the main thing to look out here is for dirty internal pump filters, check valves, and diagphrams. I would rebuild them anyways. It's a cheap peace of mind and they are not terribly difficult to do.

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	187671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4646.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	187672  

+1
    Speaking for carb rebuilds, any one got any of the triple kits around to sell?

Adam those carbs look great!

CDW, as far as the gaskets go, if I remember right..."word on the street" is to stay away from SBT and WSM. Pretty sure thats what I read when I was lookin for mine. But you can buy them as a kit. If you're only doing a top end rebuild I am pretty sure they can come as a top end gasket kit.

Couple questions:
    How many hours were on the ski before the new engine?

What caused the old engine to fail?

+1
    Im dropping in a NEW ( used ) complete engine, no top end rebuild.
    I sold the other motor for $500 to some one wanting to used theirs and mine for a rebuild.... he was aware of the damage mine had -
    and so it helped finance the new one for me

The great thing is, I only paid $500 for the whole ski !!!!

As far as what caused the other to fail, no idea ( looked like an oil line from the oil in the hull though )

Sbt is apparently the only ones who have the "install kit" for when u drop their engines in....

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    Their install kit gaskets are fine. I just wouldn't use their headgaskets or carb rack base gaskets.

Cometic makes a nice kit, but it is a o/h kit.

Definitely go through the carbs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information