Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Best choice for jet ski

I am new to this site, and I would like to get some opinions on a good jet ski to buy. I have never owned a jet ski, but have rode one a couple of times. I am thinking about possibly purchasing one, and I would like to know what would be a good first buy. I would like something that is comfortable cruising for 2-3 people, but have decent speed. I was looking at the kawasaki stx 15f and yamaha vx line of jet skis. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    i would go with a yamaha SHO or a Honda aquatrax great skis

I have an 08 15f and it is a great ski. I have read in other posts that the 15f is a preferred option over the vx for performance and speed.

Robba.

+1
    For the price I don't think you can beat a 15f.

+1
    The VX is a entry level ski and the 15F is also an entry level but before superchargers it was the ski at the top of the list. I have owned one since the first year they came out in '04. I love my ski and just had to buy another ski so I purchased another 15F. It will do 60+ and still have fuel economy while cruising all day. The Honda's do pretty good also although they are a much wetter ride but that is easily fixed I have heard with a splash guard. If you want to keep up with a 15F though you will need the turbo model. I don't think there is a faster top speed in the naturally aspirated craft except for maybe an old Ultra 150 or a GPR.

Does the 15f run on 87 octane? Also, is it a pretty comfortable ride, or is it more a performance based model over comfort?

Shop till you drop

Quote Originally Posted by newspeed View Post
    I am new to this site, and I would like to get some opinions on a good jet ski to buy. I have never owned a jet ski, but have rode one a couple of times.
    When it comes to purchasing, nothing beats side by side comparison. Fortunately for you this is the right time of year to comparison shop since many dealers are running demo rides. You get the chance to move from one to the other. I would advise you do this if at all possible and look closely at details.

First things first. Although there are many criteria for comparing pwcs, invariably the discussion turns into an argument as to which one is the fastest. You should know that the industry has some kind of handshake deal with the Coast Guard to keep top speeds around 70mph, so once you get to a certain level top speed becomes a moot point. When you have so much mod potential, as Mr. Miagi says, you may know karate, but someone always know more.

Beyond that, from reading forums like these you get the impression Yamahas are top shelf in terms of reliability, followed closely by Kawasaki then Seadoo. I tend to take this feedback with a grain of salt since Yamaha's reputation is based partly on the fact most rental places use mostly Yamahas and therefore it would be natural to assume they are the most reliable, but the truth is Yamaha has the better fleet program. It is true that supercharged Seadoos require constant maintenance, but the same can be said of any supercharged brand. What is very evident is if you perform a modicum of regular maintenance your skis should be fine.

After the initial thrill wears off, you do find that the little things become very important. To me Yamahas suffer a fatal flaw in that they have so little storage. I like to take an inflatable tube sometimes, along with ice chest and dock fenders. All that wont fit in a Yamaha SHO or FZR. Yamahas do have an edge with the fact they use less fuel and it does not have to be premium octane.

The top Seadoo are kings in speed, but you do have to rebuilt the blowers every 100 hours, and they are designed to force you to take them to the dealer to clear fault codes. They are also the most expensive.

Kawasakis are to me the best value, although not best in anything else. The fastest Kawi comes in third behind the fastest Yamahas and Seadoos, but still accelerates like a banshee. They have a ton of storage and fuel, very good reliability, and pretty comfy ride. Best of all, I just picked up a new 08 Ultra250x for $8,300 OTD, 0 hours.

I know nothing about Hondas. I don't see that many and nobody sells them around here.

One last piece of advise...you may not be that interested in a real fast machine now, but you will...invest wisely.

+1
    pretty much what he said and they do run on 87 octane.

My wife has a 07 Yamaha FX HO and as far as comfort they are great, storage as stated is small even though the hull is huge. One Kawasaki you might try for comfort but not quite 60 in speed would by the Ultra LX with the cruiser seat. This is the non-supercharged Ultra hull so you get the best of both worlds, great ride even in the chop and reliability with great fuel consumption. I thought about getting one for my wife but went with Yamaha. I kind of wish I had gone the other way due to Yamaha being a rattle trap because they put snap together parts. At least as far as I have found with my 15f they use bolts and nuts almost everywhere.

Thanks everyone for the info and help. I am going to go look at the stx 15f and ultra lx tomorrow at the local kawasaki dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by newspeed View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info and help. I am going to go look at the stx 15f and ultra lx tomorrow at the local kawasaki dealer.
    hey joe good thinkin.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information