+1

Help me make my ultra turn.....(CC thread)

I ran a region 9 ijsba race this weekend and did really well considering my pig of an ultra. I'm pretty sure my setup is all wrong. It's been set up for lake riding with the r&d plate, r&d sponsons (just put them on this weekend), and 2 degree wedge. It was pushing real bad in the sharp turns. I even ran into a concrete wall! (yes the course was set up a tad dangerous). I also had a full tank of fuel all frigin weekend. The sponsons didn't feel like they were doing the job they should.

So my theory is to put the stock plate back on, install an intake grate and maybe some more aggressive sponsons?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I am hooked on cc racing now and don't want to have to buy an fzr like everyone else is doing.

I've read that the ultra 260 turns alot better, is this true?

THanks again,

Reggie

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stangbang View Post
    I ran a region 9 ijsba race this weekend and did really well considering my pig of an ultra. I'm pretty sure my setup is all wrong. It's been set up for lake riding with the r&d plate, r&d sponsons (just put them on this weekend), and 2 degree wedge. It was pushing real bad in the sharp turns. I even ran into a concrete wall! (yes the course was set up a tad dangerous). I also had a full tank of fuel all frigin weekend. The sponsons didn't feel like they were doing the job they should.

So my theory is to put the stock plate back on, install an intake grate and maybe some more aggressive sponsons?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I am hooked on cc racing now and don't want to have to buy an fzr like everyone else is doing.

I've read that the ultra 260 turns alot better, is this true?

THanks again,

Reggie
    take the pump wedge out first, put the sponsons all the way down and forward so they bite more. that should help with it pushing in the turns.... your biggest killer though is the wedge

+1
    I use the r+d grate, plate, sponsons and 1 deg wedge no problem in cc. good combo for my fat ass, I weigh 230. Grate will help you in turns but slow you down on courses with long straights, but then if you want cc racing wind the boost up.

+1
    TTT

THanks for the replies. I'll take out the wedge. Anything else? Cmon SKIP. I know you know some good secrets.

Sense you poked me.....

I dont like offering handling advice. All is to his own on this. Some say SD handle really well but I think Id have more control racing on a donkey with thorn in its ass.

Here is what work really well for me.

TBM Signature plate.

Riva Sponsons

Stock intake grate on lakes

TBM Intake on Ocean races.

Biggest help is the UMI or TBM steerings as it forces you to get off your ass and onto the bars.

When CC its best to keep your ass about 6in off the seat and shoulders even with your bars. On straight aways you can slide back to relieve weight off nose.

Drop a little throttle with a dip of the bars to get the Ultra to role on her boey side a bit. Once you feel her start to drop in, hammer the throttle and adjust bars to whip the turn. Practice this over and over till you get the feel of it.

Trick on whipping a turn on the Ultra is to set her wide but cut in and rpms above 5K all the time keeping body weight to the turning side.. Make sure your clear. If someone is on your inside then you cut, he's going to show you about making room and you cant go crying about it. If your setting a turn and you see a guy trying a inside pass then whip wide as you can to keep RPMS high. The inside guy is going to be digging in and dropping RPMS. It will look as if hes got you but youll be able to motor him on the pull off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31746262.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	188557

+1
    Had no luck with R&D sponsons they are soft. Riva ones turn, the backing plate sits lower to start with, acts like a trim tab on a boat holding the nose down.

Awesome info, time to practice and, yes, some new bars....but then, you knew that Skip...

Thread Information