Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    SeaDoocer

Carbon seal: So whats the best way to check?

What's the best way to check to see if your carbon seal is leaking air to the pump or the boot has lost it's flex? I'm trying to eliminate causes for loss of rpm's.

+1
    If you are cavitating out of the hole, or taking on water than the carbon seal could be bad. how many rpms are you at now? Where is your oil level? How old is your wear ring? rpm loss is not usually caused by the carbon seal. How does your prop look, any dings? It could need to be pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp
    If you are cavitating out of the hole, or taking on water than the carbon seal could be bad. how many rpms are you at now? Where is your oil level? How old is your wear ring? rpm loss is not usually caused by the carbon seal. How does your prop look, any dings? It could need to be pitched.
    does the carbon seal ring ever wear out or should it be fine for the life of the jet ski ?

SeaDoocer
    Just ordered the metal washers. Changed out sc'r clutch for upgraded 07 Rotax hp but need to do some shimming on it..don't think the dealer did it right. I have a racer neighbor helping me this week.
    Wear ring is a week old, prop was looking very good(stock)...matter of fact, I didn't notice a tremendous difference with the new wear ring...the one replaced was not that bad either but was a year old!
    I was wondering about the carbon as if it is sucking air turbulence into the prop doesn't that slow the rpm's down?
    I am going to wait until after I finish the clutch washer change out and then see what it does. I always got 8050-8100 rpms for this last year(even in the heat) and then it went down to 7850. After the clutch I need to get rid of this piece o' crap stock prop! lol It's probably out of pitch anyways.

+1
    The carbon seal can crack from running on the hose too long without being in the water to cool it. Or it can wear unevenly, and leak, or cavitate badly.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDoocer
    What's the best way to check to see if your carbon seal is leaking air to the pump or the boot has lost it's flex? I'm trying to eliminate causes for loss of rpm's.
    it's not going to cause you to lose rpm unless it leaks about 20 gallons of water in the hull

Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp
    The carbon seal can crack from running on the hose too long without being in the water to cool it. Or it can wear unevenly, and leak, or cavitate badly.
    So as long as it does its job correctley it will last the life of the jet ski

+1
    The bellow or black boot on the driveshaft will loose it's tension around 50 hrs hard riding. It will need a spacer. This causes cavitation.

SeaDoocer
    rxpstan,
    Can you elaborate on that?

+1
    I still have the original bellows , but I just moved it fwd on the shaft without any shim.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information