Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    97 Kawasaki STX 1100

I need a owners manual - 1995 polaris 750SL

Hello everyone, Im joining all of you as a new jet ski owner. Ive been long time boat owner. Ive owned 4 different shallow V jet boats over the years and have been water skieing since I was 5 yrs old. I still currently own a 1979 Hondo hot rod boat and now am joining you elite as the proud owner of a 1995 Polaris 750SL water craft. I picked it up from a young college student heading back home after completing school. I only payed $360 and it looks to be in decent shape. Id say great if Id herd it start but the battery is dead. The previous owner stated he used it last summer and then put it up for winter. When he took it out to get it ready to sell the battery was dead. I brought myself a jumper box and hooked it up. Motor turned over like it was trying to start but never did. I pulled a plug and it appeared fouled. Had fresh fuel on it but the plug itself was clean. I turned the motor over and verified spark. One of my questions is do these things foul plugs easy and often and are they hard to start when cold. My next question is where can I find a Owners manual so I can familiarize myself with the ski. Finding a service manual seams to be easy. Ebay!
    Also Ive seen several threads about bulletins on these skis if someone could direct me as to what I need to check on this ski Id much appreciate it. And Finally I was told by the owner that the motor was rebuilt 2 yrs ago and so was the jet and shaft so pretty much it should be a new ski. Actually it looks all clean and new but we all no what a fresh steam clean does to a engine so Ill wait to see it run before I start bragging about how much I paid. No it didnt come with a trailer but I picked up one from a neighbor for $125.00 . Looks like it use to be a ski trailer and someone threw some wood on it and made it a utility trailer so all I have to do is strip all the wood back of and add the rails back onto it....

Thanks to any and all that take the time to read my mess and steer me in the right direction....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Click the links below, and start reading

You should find answers to many of your questions in the assembled material and links.

When properly maintained and set up, the engine should start without much trouble, using the choke when cold of course.

Since this one has been sitting for a while, and you don't know the actual condition of everything, you will need to do some checking.

Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Thanks for your reply. I did check the compression today on all 3 cylinders I had 90 psi. I did not open the throttle though when checking. Im guessing those numbers should be good since all three were consistant. I did pull the plugs. Had NGK BPR7es but they were fouled. I threw in some Champion RN9YC. I looked up my water craft in a champion spark plug book and they had it listed for my yr and engine size.. I picked up 5 gallons of gas today and checked my oil reservoir. It was full. My battery was dead so I grabbed a jumper box and since its been sitting all winter sprayed alittle starter flued in each carb. The damn thing fired right up and runs!!! Lots of white smoke from the exhaust. Im guessing water still eft over from last year or the starter fluid caused the smoking. Gonna start it again tomorrow and see if the smoke disappears. But it seamed to rev nicely. Doesnt appear to be missing or anything. Im just concerned about idling it for 2 long. Any suggestions so I can let it run for a few minutes to see if its gonna stay idling and charge properly?

Quote Originally Posted by mogyver69 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I did check the compression today on all 3 cylinders I had 90 psi. I did not open the throttle though when checking. Im guessing those numbers should be good since all three were consistant. I did pull the plugs. Had NGK BPR7es but they were fouled. I threw in some Champion RN9YC. I looked up my water craft in a champion spark plug book and they had it listed for my yr and engine size.. I picked up 5 gallons of gas today and checked my oil reservoir. It was full. My battery was dead so I grabbed a jumper box and since its been sitting all winter sprayed alittle starter flued in each carb. The damn thing fired right up and runs!!! Lots of white smoke from the exhaust. Im guessing water still eft over from last year or the starter fluid caused the smoking. Gonna start it again tomorrow and see if the smoke disappears. But it seamed to rev nicely. Doesnt appear to be missing or anything. Im just concerned about idling it for 2 long. Any suggestions so I can let it run for a few minutes to see if its gonna stay idling and charge properly?
    Hi. You can test your jet ski on a boat ramp backed into the water still strapped to the trailer like I did for as long as you want.
    Btw I HIGHLY recommend going through those links K447 gave you. Well worth it.

+1
    If there is ANY question about the health of that battery, replace it. Polaris PWC really like a strong battery.

You don't want to get caught out on the water with an engine that doesn't want to start.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Thanks guys, I have been reading lots today. I tried charging my battery with no sucess so I picked up a new battery today. Its on my 1.2 amp charger for 6-8 hrs. I did get back out today and looked over my engine some more, It definetly has the stock original fuel lines set at the fuel rail. Im guessing the fuel pump is at the front of the engine? How do I get to it easiest?. The fuel lines are very dry and hard so Ill be replacing all those and the fuel pump. I have read theres a couple different fuel pumps. Which do you guys recemend and were can I get a good price? I pulled the plugs again today to take a peak and recheck the gap since I hadnt gapped them when I put them in yesterday. I put my jumper box back on for the time being and primed the carbs with that choke button and turned her over. She fired right up.... From what Ive learned so far my main concern would be getting that new fuel pump. I was told by the previous owner the jet was just rebuilt last year along with the drive shaft and the motor was rebuilt 2 yrs ago. But the scarry thing is he told me right after it was rebuilt he had a cyclinder failer and had to have it replaced right after the rebuild. Im guessing a fuel problem and from the looks of it Id say he never addressed the fuel delivery issues.... I read everyones saying rebuild the carbs but Its firing right up and idling nice so I think Ill hold out and see how she runs on the water before I tare her down any further... Does anyone have a pdf file they could send me of the owners manual and or service manual for this water craft? [email protected] Id really appreciate it! Any other advice please send my way!

Thanks again!

+1
    Oil pump is on the side of the engine, under the intake manifold. Change the oil hoses and filter, as well as the fuel lines.

Make sure the fuel restrictor is present inside the return fuel line, and that you transfer it to the new fuel line.

The problem for you is that the number one way to damage the engine is to run it hard with a fuel delivery problem.

Sometimes even a few minutes running at mid-range or higher throttle with lean fuel delivery can burn a hole through a piston. The engine can even deliver very good power while running lean, while internally the piston is dying.

Everything from the fuel tank (and the hoses inside the fuel tank, if any) through the fuel selector valve, fuel filter, fuel pump, and the carbs themselves - it all must be 100% good.

The common advice is to take the time to thoroughly check, clean, and upgrade the fuel system. It is much cheaper to rebuild the carbs now rather than to rebuild the engine, AND rebuild the carbs.

Keep clicking links and reading. All the info you need is available

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    This is true!

I wanted to ask where the fuel pump is located? Is it attached directly to the fuel seperator? I have what appears to be some type of swith with 3 hose barbs on it. Says MIC on it and its just lyeing on the floor not bolted to anything. Im guessing someone forgot to put it back were it goes. Im looking for pictures so I can figure it out....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mogyver69 View Post
    ...I wanted to ask where the fuel pump is located?
    Is it attached directly to the fuel separator?

I have what appears to be some type of swith with 3 hose barbs on it. Says MIC on it and its just lying on the floor not bolted to anything.

I'm guessing someone forgot to put it back were it goes. I'm looking for pictures so I can figure it out....
    The fuel pump is usually mounted near the nipple of the side of the crank case, which powers the fuel pump with pressure pulses from the PTO cylinder.

The fuel separator is mounted separately. Location varies depending on the year and model.

Are you referring to the fuel selector valve?
    ON-OFF-RESERVE

Is it disconnected and laying loose in the hull?

The fuel hose routing, working backwards from the carburetors;
    Fuel pump
    Water/Fuel separator
    XX
    Fuel selector valve
    Fuel tank

XX 'Early' production models have one fuel filter between the selector valve and the Water/Fuel separator

** 'Late' production models have two Fuel filters (on both main and reserve fuel lines from the tank), located between the fuel tank and the selector valve

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    I found the fuel pump. It is what was just sitting on the floor as I was saying in my early message. I guess the air box would have a bracket that would hold the pump. They have removed the air box and replaced it with after market air filters for each carb. They just sat the pump on the floor. My fuel system is pretty simple. Res and main fuel lines in to the switch then to the water seperator then to my pump. One pulse line from the pto to the pump and from the pump too the fuel rail. I get to put the new style fuel pump on. Hasnt been done on this one yet. I ordered it today!. My fuel gauge doesnt seam to be working. I filled the tank and my multi function is flashing fuel and my gauge reads empty. Im guessing that float problem I read about? Also If I hold the mode and set button at the same time my multi function comes up cal Im guessing that stand for calibrating. Any body no what that does? other then calibrate . LOL

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information