Smile What should I do???

Gidday guy's, I'm new to the forum even thou I have been riding for a few years always keen to learn stuff.

I have read the thread on the other Yamaha forum on this site: Re Dumping No 3. putting a T piece in or not!!

What I would like to know is:
    Will this help the problem that I'm experiencing with my 1997 GP1200. I have replaced the rubber outlet pipe stinger / waterbox twice in as many as 10 outings. The first had a slight split in it, thought it was due to old age and contamination of fuel / oil. The second pipe 6 months later had the ars_ ripped out of it severley and basically melting the rubber to the water box.
    I just removed the stinger it had a lot of crap in there little pebbles / sand etc, found it had not cat, is this model fitted with a cat from factory?? It does have a exhaust sensor fitted on the stinger, buzzer or warning light have never come on apart from when you intially kick the ski over. Motor has done 200hrs and is completely stock and compresion is between 100 to 110psi. Any suggestions Oh just 1 more thing will the D plate help on the 1997 GP1200

Regards Charlie...

+1
    A 97-99 GP1200 does not have a cat-con from the factory, so there is no way to install a D plate.

+1
    Your infor is referncing the GP1200R and not the 97-99 GP1200

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    That rear section of the stinger does have a tendency to get clogged under certain riding conditions. Remove the pipe and remove the metal barbed retainer and rubber gasket to clean out the debris. That rubber gasket may be deteriorated due to age and the exhaust oils, so replace it if necessary.

What size are the hose barbs for the stinger water injector? Some exhausts used 1/4 barbs and these are not as desirable as the later 5/16 barbs and hose.

A "T" will not help your problem if the stinger waterjacket is clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by J-ME View Post
    That rear section of the stinger does have a tendency to get clogged under certain riding conditions. Remove the pipe and remove the metal barbed retainer and rubber gasket to clean out the debris. That rubber gasket may be deteriorated due to age and the exhaust oils, so replace it if necessary.

What size are the hose barbs for the stinger water injector? Some exhausts used 1/4 barbs and these are not as desirable as the later 5/16 barbs and hose.

A "T" will not help your problem if the stinger waterjacket is clogged.

Thank you for your replies guy's

J-Me I think your pretty spot on the money. When I pulled the stinger apart last week I was shocked to find how much garbage was in there. From sand to little pebbles and the inside of the stinger, components where pretty heavily covered in a salty scale. This ski does not have a strainer anywhere.
    The 2 little bypass holes on the inside cover where clogged with what looked like carbon and the seal at the end was split in several spots with heaps of salty scale where it butts up and seals in the base of the stinger.

I have owned the ski for the last 6 years now and have religiously flushed the motor each and everytime in the proper manner, goes to show you that now matter how much you think that you did a great job flushing "You haven't".
    Had to get the Devcon out to repair quite a bit of holes where the salt had eaten into the aluminium.

"Pictures to follow, of dismantling the stinger and its state later".

Just wondering if soluble oil can be used when flushing the cooling system. We used to do it on the older cars over here to protect the aluminium blocks and heads against corrosion.????

Life inside a GP1200 Stinger box

Just wondering now after seeeing all this whether to strip down the exhaust and clean it as well,
    and how to clean / flush the head without taking it off ????
    Last edited by Orssom; 05-13-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: More info

+1

What should I do???

I'd have your exhaust and jackets completely sand or bead blasted. This will ensure that the water is flowing properly. Just make sure you get all the media out when you reassemble it.

Thread Information