+1

99 Ultra 150 an weird problems

SO i bought another ski. Only this time it was used. Hull has 50 hours on it. Motor has 40. SKi wont go over 20 mph at 4K at full throttle. Idk if its cavitation, holed cylinder, dead cylinder. All i can tell ya is it sounds like the engine or drive is making an occasional bbrrr brrrr sound when left at idle for a few seconds. SOme advice would be great!!!

Sounds like your in limp mode, which is set at 3,500 and does what it implies, limits the RPM's because of a problem, is the over-heat blinking ??

+1
    YES!!!!!! it is blinking. How do i fix this!

first make sure all your pissers are clear, there is one on the front righthand side of the ski for the front cylinder, and the other two come out of the rear just above the pump along with the one from the pipe.

Secondly if someone pulled the pipe sensor out of the pipe and never re-filled it with I believe 30# oil, that could be leading to the over-heat warning too..

+1
    Ill check that. Im just very concerned it not soemhting worse. I ingested alotta water a few weeks back but had cleared it out emediatly. I pulled the plugs first befor even trying to turn the engine over.

do a compression check, then make sure all 3 cylinders are firing.

if your over-heat symbol is blinking on the display your in limp mode which is 3,500 rpms...

+1
    what psi should the cylinders each be at? Im not questioning you. But if it is the compression, im boggled as to how it could go from running great, to running like [email protected] for a few seconds. to running fine for three hours. To running like [email protected] Idk if this helps you at all, but when you give a lil gas like when your getting outta the marina it seems fine, till you go an grab it. I sure hope its lymp mode like you said.

+1
    oo btw my battery symbole would blink an the damm red light would stay on. an its a new battery!!!!! It was doin the same befor with the old battery as well.

+1
    Compression on a motor with that low hours should be 120psi or higher.
    Ground all 3 sparkplug wires, remove all 3 plugs, Hold at WOT and take your compression readings.
    Is the exhaust temp sensor plugged in? (its the one on the front of the exhaust pipe.)
    If you get an overtemp as soon as the motor starts cold, then your looking for an electrical issue. If it comes on after a min or so then your looking at a cooling issue.
    All cylinders and exhaust should be warm to the touch but never too hot to keep your hand on. If one cylinder is cold and the others are warm then your not firing a spark plug or blown piston.
    Last edited by SplishSplash; 09-21-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Thread Information