Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

X4 project advice

Okay guys. Heres the scoop. I recently moved to Boca Raton FL from Philadelphia, PA to start a new company. Being in the NE and working so much, I forgot how much I love this sport. I caught the bug again bad. Compound that with an augmented income and it's time to do the projects I've been putting off for years.

This is my short term goal... decide on either a VE stroker or a big bore 1050 transplant. This will be going into either a 96 XP or a 99 SPX. Haven't decided yet.. prob the SPX. I am hoping to get some feedback from the experts on here as to which setup will satisfy my needs most.

I am not going to race but I am going to drag other skis for fun and lots of wavejumping. I want an acceleration monster. As long as I can stay in the high 60s I am happy.. but I want scary holeshot. Any advice and or guidance would be great!

I would say go with the 1020 like mibunkerking did. Check out his thread. You should also read up on bens post of the 1050. It's a sticky at the top of the 2 stroke section. If you start with the 1020 you can work up from there to the 1050. If you jump out to the 1050 then once you need a top end you will have to replace the cylinder or re-sleeve.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I would do a 920, or a VE 1020 like Vince did. His 1020 is based on an 800 cased powerplant. These engines do not add weight to the hull, or change the balance like a 951 does. Plus there is no motormount glassing, waterbox swapping, exhaust swapping, and fiberglass trimming to accomodate the 951 pipe.

Just pure, snatch-you-off-the-back power when you pull the trigger. With that said, you better have a good grip...lol

Thanks guys.

Robert.. thats exactly what I'm looking for.. and my grip is not what it used to be but I think I'll be able to hang on.

Any idea where to start?

For instance.. where to get a 1020VE?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    now those are sexy!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by 800X-4rider View Post
    It isn't worth that kind of money. Plus you can't enlarge the pic to see details. Most of the time the people selling cylinders have trashed their engine. The cases have to be machined to accept the larger sleeves. The sleeves are probably bored beyond limits, and finding sleeves is like winning the lottery. And the dude can't even spell unique.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    It isn't worth that kind of money. Plus you can't enlarge the pic to see details. Most of the time the people selling cylinders have trashed their engine. The cases have to be machined to accept the larger sleeves. The sleeves are probably bored beyond limits, and finding sleeves is like winning the lottery. And the dude can't even spell unique.
    HAHA! Yeah I didn't catch that.

Any idea where I can get a good monoblock then?

Also, what are those powervalves??

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    The 951 does take a lil more fabbin BUT VE cylinders and the heads are hard to find because they don't make them anymore. Parts for the 951 and 1050 are all over this site and pwctoday. I have heard from a well respected tech that some of the sleeves and cases are prone to cracking, you still have to machine out your cases to accept the 920 cylinder it just doesn't bolt right up. Also if you squeak a piston or 2 even Robert said the sleeves are hard to find? Why would this be a good choice of engine??? If you want 60mph and great holeshot that doesn't require a 920, you can get that with the 787 engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information