Can a 4 stroke PWC engine be put in a 2000 Polaris Genesis

Can a 4 stroke PWC engine be put in a 2000 Polaris Genesis with a 1200 engine. I like the 4 seat of the polaris but the stator is bad in the current engine. Any options on doing an engine swap or should I just repair the one I have. Thanks for the info.

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman60 View Post
    Can a 4 stroke PWC engine be put in a 2000 Polaris Genesis with a 1200 engine?

I like the 4 seat of the Polaris but the stator is bad in the current engine.

Any options on doing an engine swap or should I just repair the one I have?

Thanks for the info.
    Welcome to the Hulk

Is your Genesis carburetor or fuel injected?

Changing the Polaris stator is MUCH less work (and less cost) than swapping in a different brand and type of engine.

Even with pulling the engine to get at the stator, it can be done in a day. A few hours work if you are familiar with the process, of course.

I don't know if anyone has done an engine conversion into a Genesis hull.

I think it is an interesting idea

By far the popular 4-stroke engine for conversions is the SeaDoo 4-Tec engine. There is a lot of knowledge about using that engine in non-SeaDoo hulls, mostly Yamaha GPR hulls.

That said, there are a few Polaris MSX hulls with 4-Tec engines, and even one or two Yamaha SUV (4 seater) conversions.

Greenhulk has an entire forum just for conversion projects;
    Conversion Skis

In addition to the mechanical aspects of getting a different motor to sit properly in the hull, with custom engine mounts and such, there are the issues of adapting the cooling system, electrics and various other bits.

A first time conversion project, where you will be figuring it out without the benefit of others having done the same thing before, is a LOT of work.

Polaris did sell the MSX model with a Weber 4-stroke engine, but I would think it would be better to consider the 4-Tec engine, if you wanted to go that way.

Don't bother with automotive engines. It is just way too much effort to convert to marine use, and get it to fit the tight space inside a PWC hull. Even Marine inboard engines don't fit well in PWC hulls.

+1
    Yea change that stator out.
    If you have more time and money do the 4 stroke engine.
    but summer I fly by if you don't have a running ski you will be hating life.

Thanks for the replies. I have two other skis ....Sea doo 4-tec. Love the engine in these.

The Polaris is my back up so that I always have two running if one of the seadoos break. I do like the 4 person cap on the Polaris and it rides well so i dont want get rid of it. If I find a 4-tec engine used i may pick it up and try the conversion but for now I will most likely fix the stator and get it charging again.

I have the repair manual but it did not go over the steps to change the stator but i figured the engine must come out to get to it. That will give me time to change the fuel lines as well.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman60 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have two other skis ....Sea doo 4-tec. Love the engine in these.

The Polaris is my back up so that I always have two running if one of the seadoos break. I do like the 4 person cap on the Polaris and it rides well so i dont want get rid of it. If I find a 4-tec engine used i may pick it up and try the conversion but for now I will most likely fix the stator and get it charging again.

I have the repair manual but it did not go over the steps to change the stator but i figured the engine must come out to get to it. That will give me time to change the fuel lines as well.

Thanks

i think it would be very cool to see a 4 tec in the Genesis, its the smallest 4 person pwc made, so if you repowered it this would be a very nice all around ski i would think..

Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    i think it would be very cool to see a 4 tec in the Genesis, its the smallest 4 person pwc made, so if you repowered it this would be a very nice all around ski i would think..

My sentiments exactly.

Thread Information