Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Best type of advertising

i owned part of a buisness with 3 other guys that just wasn't going well and sold my part of the buisness to them.

i opened up a new buisness where i just want to do landscaping (looking to focus on mowing and snow plowing the most) part of the deal allowed me to take some of the equipment. What do you guys with experience feel is the most cost effective type of advertising? keep in mind i dont have a ton of money to throw at this and im looking to let if grow slowly.

+1
    Word of mouth is usually the best way, and is obviously the most cost effective. Offer an incentive to customers that give you referrals. If you are operating a lawncare/snow removal business, might be best to focus on a few key neighborhoods. This would prevent you from driving all over town to mow one lawn, and back across town to do another. One thing I can suggest is local papers. If you have a smaller community paper, try advertising there.

Good luck, hope things take off well for you!

+1
    Set up a free local business ad on Google. It will help you get toward the top when people search on Google for your type of business. I have been in business for 8 years. More and more of my biz comes from internet searches. I have a yellow pages ad but have reduced it's size because I get less business from it year after year. I have also had very good luck with Service Magic. You pay per lead and their prices are very reasonable.
    Service Magic does a ton of tv advertising so a tie in with them is a good thing. What ever kind of advertising you do be sure to closely track your leads so you can see what is working or not working for you.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    get your business out on the Yahoo.com directory, its free, when ppl want to look for a lawnscaping in your area, you will be listed there, do it now cause it takes about 3 weeks for yahoo to list it on the web,

good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcman4usn View Post
    Word of mouth is usually the best way, and is obviously the most cost effective. Offer an incentive to customers that give you referrals. If you are operating a lawncare/snow removal business, might be best to focus on a few key neighborhoods. This would prevent you from driving all over town to mow one lawn, and back across town to do another. One thing I can suggest is local papers. If you have a smaller community paper, try advertising there.

Good luck, hope things take off well for you!
    +1.

I had a lawn business back in the late 90s. I was doing a favor for my boss and keeping up with his yard. I did the math and jumped in head first. 1 year later, I had 40 residential and commercial accounts. 2 years later, I was at 75+. I could have kept going but this was my side job. Can you say burn out?

One thing that worked well for me was "door hangers". I had 1000 printed up for like $50.00. Me, the wife, and the kids hit all the neighborhoods that I wanted to target and put one on every house. It took us 3 evenings to pass out. I picked up 5 customers. $35.00 average per yard, once a week. You do the math.

I also had my wife just go up and down every street with a business that had a blade of grass. She was the best salesperson a guy could have. She would just bat her eyes and say how she was trying to do her part in developing a family business......

The other thing I did was print up flyer's. I then got with a guy who was a newspaper delivery guy. On Sundays, he and 2 other carriers would get together and roll the Sunday paper, then go deliver. I gave them each $50 and rolled papers with them one Sunday. Needless to say, $50.00 worth of flyer's went out in close to 2000 papers. For this $200 investment, I got about 10 customers. Of course the newspaper would have been a little pissed if they would have found out.....

I bought the biggest closed in trailer I could afford and had real nice graphics put on it, with my phone #. Great mobile bill board. $400, I think.

One last thing. Hit all of the local realtor's and leasing companies. They sometimes need temporary or even permanent care and pay well. I did everything from a quick mow, full yard clean up, to other odd and end things they needed. This will cost you nothing but your time for the sales call and a business card. You can also make up a nice tri-fold brochure to pass out. It will cost a little, but one nicely done will impress some; while others simply throw it in the trash.

Best of luck.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    kirk what happened?
    I need my grass cut!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    kirk what happened?
    I need my grass cut!

Got burned out and my boss @ work made me an offer that I could not refuse. He made me a manager, bumped my salary to the same as what I was netting in grass, and I sold the business. Saved me 20 hours a week in work.
    I had been thinking it was the best thing I have ever done, but now i'm burned out at work. Real freaken tired of baby sitting and miss working for myself.

agree with everything kirk said... my buddies started one last year and they did all that... they are doing very well right now.

+1
    craigslist wouldn't hurt.

+1
    I have a business and honestly word of mouth was the most effective tool. We made up flyers, placed ads in targeted publishings, went to trade shows and did a tv commercial. Word of mouth trumps all that. Also, for your specific industry it would help to exploit immigrants if you can. Its the American way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information