Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Flipping the wear ring!

I hear the trick is to flip the wear ring when one side wears out. I have to saw my wear ring to get it out because it fits so tight. What's the trick in taking it out without damaging it? Also, there must be a technique to installing the prop because it takes me forever to do this... it doesn't slide down easily. I have to jiggle the prop-tool/prop and twist it at the same time as it is very tight. Somebody please point me in the right direction?

Your right on the prop does take some turning to get it in but fliping the wera ring around just put the pump witht he impeller in the freezer for about 30 min. then the ring will slip right out and then turn it around and put back in then remove from freezer andlet sit at room temp. for a while then install back on ski. I have done this and picked up my original speed back to 67 gps with a full tank of gas @8000 rpm. Have not gps'd with one bar of fuel yet but should be up to 68 or 69 again. I have 100 hrs on the original ring then flipped it.

Gary

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRXP
    Your right on the prop does take some turning to get it in but fliping the wera ring around just put the pump witht he impeller in the freezer for about 30 min. then the ring will slip right out and then turn it around and put back in then remove from freezer andlet sit at room temp. for a while then install back on ski. I have done this and picked up my original speed back to 67 gps with a full tank of gas @8000 rpm. Have not gps'd with one bar of fuel yet but should be up to 68 or 69 again. I have 100 hrs on the original ring then flipped it.

Gary
    I got the first part OK, "put the pump in the freezer for 1/2 hr. and the wear ring should slip out easily." Correct? But the next part is confusing, "then remove from freezer and let sit at room temp. for a while then install back on ski." 'Splain Lucy?

Right once you put the ring back in let it sit out of the freezer for a while to get warmed up bat to normal air temp before installing back on the ski. The ring will expand and be a tight fit. Plus you wont have the possibility of cracking the pump housing.

Gary

+1
    After the ring is reversed, let it and the pump sit at room temperature , then install the complete assembly back into your ski. This way the aluminum pump will expand to normal "size" before you torque the mounting nuts down.

Richard

+1
    u can hose it down to warm it up, or if u have access to a hot tub...lol...
    works even better

should you sand down the grooves left by the previous impeller ?

+1
    I would if it's 0grooved or pitted bad ...the smoother the better the flow.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyRXP
    Right once you put the ring back in let it sit out of the freezer for a while to get warmed up bat to normal air temp before installing back on the ski. The ring will expand and be a tight fit. Plus you wont have the possibility of cracking the pump housing.

Gary
    Good point! TNX

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    when you flip the wear ring do it while the wear ring is still cold!! makes life simple... y would u make the ring and pump go back to room temperature when it's a snug fit thenn u gotta tap it in...

freezer for a bit.... very quickly slide wear ring out and flip and drop it back in place.... then let the wear ring warm back up so it snugs up IN the housing...

and the metal pump is not shrinking or expanding or doing any movement... if it was we got a serious problem and this truck would not work... the metal pump doesn't shrink of change shape or size... only plastic and composite materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information