Is this the one for me

I found a 2002 gtx, 2 stroke, 13 horse, with 133 hours on it. I got the guy down to 3500 for it. I am just a bit nervous about that many hours on the 2 stroke. Should I be? This will be mainly my wifes ski, so it wont be ridden too hard, but I want something reliable. Any opinions? Thanks

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The hours don't mean as much as how the engine was kept. Was it fogged before extended storage periods? The hours are nothing if this was done. It will be in excellent shape.

ride it if you can...compression test if you can

+1
    That is a great boat, one of my favorites, as long as it is not a DI (the '02 GTX-DI being a pig, IMO).

Like the man said, it is about how it is kept up. The '02s had good fuel lines and SD/Rotax had pretty much solved most of the 951's quirks by then. Our '02 GTX has been a relaible, fun boat (that is me on it at Norris a few years back in my avatar pic).

I will definately put in the water and go for a ride. How do I perform a compression test, and where should the numbers be?

Thanks

+1
    For a comp test you ground the plug wires on the prongs between the RAVE valves. Then remove one plug and screw in the fitting for the compression gauge (do not waste your time with a push down gauge). Then hit the start button until the gauge stops going up.

Then swap the position of the gauge (and put the plug back in the one you just tested) and repeat.

You are looking for less than 8% variation between the cylinders. Depending on the strength of the battery, starter, and a few other factors you are looking for somewhere in the 130-150psi range. Do not get too hung up on that total number unless it is less than 130.

If that is the case you will have to judge it based on how it rode (this is where knowing these machines helps a lot so if you are not too familiar with them you may want a second opinion both on the performance and maybe a test with another gauge).

If the variation is too high then you have one cylinder with a lot more wear than the other and that is NOT a good sign.

Well thanks for all the advice guys I appreciate it. I went and looked at the ski today. I didnt feel good about it right from the get go. After we talked and agreed on a price, last night, I got on the rode this morning and then he called me and told me that the ski would not be running because the battery was no good. I was going to turn around and go home and he said that we could go down to a battery store where his buddy works and they would drop a better in it. So I got to his house and looked over the boat, there was quite a few scratches on the hood and the fiberglass. we went to the battery store, they dropped a battery in it and started up, it sounded good, but I just didnt feel great about it. Then the guy upped the price that we talked about, so I walked. Wasted a 2 hour drive, but oh well.

+1
    I do not let scratches and stuff bother me too much but that is a judgment call.

However...

You can never go wrong walking away from one.

I will let you in on a secret. If I am selling a boat and know that someone is coming to look at it the next day I will make damn sure it is ready to start when the guy gets here. On the flip side, if I go look at one that is supposed to be running and it is not ready to hit the water right then I am chopping the offer and if they do not like it I hit the road.

IMO, if you are selling a boat and it needs a battery, put a freaking battery in it.

That dude sounds like a DB and who knows what that poor boat has been through.

Thanks man, that was my thoughts exactly. If I have something for sale, it is ready to run, and is as clean as I can get it. But I guess that just goes to show mow some people take care of there stuff.

Thread Information