Fng!!! Whooo hooo

Ok, so I'm a little excited.

Just picked up a tigershark because it seems no one really knows how to fix them or wants to put money into them. Is this the case with most PWC's once they reach a few years old?

Heck, I've had it for three days and already have it stripped and ready to recoat/paint for less than a 100 bucks!! Next step; gut the shell and clean and re install everything so I can GET ON THE WATER!!!!

I'm just excited. It's my first one. I'll work my way up.

One question. I posted on another forum and was looking for people who do crazy engine swaps? Such as 4 stroke motorcycle engines, turbo's etc.

I'm down for picking up another non running hull and performing an insane swap.

Wayne

welcome to the hulk. Nice find on that ski. What model is it? You should post up some pics of the project.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Does it have a running engine?

Have you looked at the Conversion Skis forum?

New (to me) ski

ya get this. The guy said he bought it four years ago and it never ran or he couldn't get it started. I brought a jump box and a compression guage and tested. 150 all the way. I squirted some oil in the cylinders, cleaned the plugs and put gas in the carb and it started and idles perfectly.

I've already began to gut it and have stripped the handlebar hood and put on first primer coat. It got cold overnight so its taking a little longer to dry. Once I get the primer down and sanded I'll fix a few chips and then re primer. I have top deck paint and 35 dollars worth of tiger teeth vinyl to stick on when I'm done.

I have a title for it; but is it common for people to loose the titles to these (pwc's in general) or are a lot of them stolen?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2421.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	188318  

Nice looking project. I wouldnt say it really common that people loose the titles but it does happen. I also wouldnt say that a bunch of these get stollen I would think they are a little harder to steal then a dirt bike or something like that. You can always get the VIN # run and see if it comes up stolen.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosan View Post
    ...cleaned the plugs and put gas in the carb and it started and idles perfectly...
    A common way to damage a 2-stroke carburetor PWC engine is to run it without cleaning the carburetors internally, or running with a weak fuel system.

That machine is many years old. You should not assume that anything is still in good enough condition, especially the fuel system.

Running the engine on the trailer without a water load on the jet pump doesn't tell you if the fuel system is 100% good. Even damaged engines can seem to idle and run OK on the trailer.

I suggest you take the time to thoroughly go through the fuel system. Rebuild the carburetors, replace the old fuel lines, clean out the fuel selector valve. Make sure everything in the entire fuel system is 100% good.

It is much easier and cheaper to do this now than to do it all after you burn a hole through a piston from lean fuel delivery at speed on the water. If you defer doing the work now you may get to not only do the fuel system work later on, you may also need to fix the engine.

Already done that. Thanks! I'm too excited to overlook anything. Check the update thread for later posts. The carb has good gaskets and pump, and I didn't run the thing long, just fired it up and shut it off.. I tune carbs and fuel injected race cars for a living, I could be wrong, but doesn't seem much different to me. I got rid of the oil tank and have rerouted for pre mix. Had to fix the crank case seals, they were old and leaking, as well as the prop housing seals. I can't believe how much money factory parts are. I'm out on that.

The last 2 strokes I dealt with was from when I was 10-14 years old racing motocross..

Thread Information