Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1

Prop nose cone question

I finally got a 15/20 in my RXT the other day and was instantly disapointed because my hole shot is gone due to terrible cavitation. 2 things were interesting when i pulled the pump out. First the WSM wear ring i installed with the prop was not nearly tight to the prop. I've used these before for friends and customers and never had problems but this was the first time in my ski. Second was the stock nose cone which i've always ran with success on solas impellers due to the fact that it holds the threads better and has less tendency to come loose like the solas does over time. It was starting to bulge in the center and looked like it was close to folding back like i had happen once before.

I'm wondering if this is where most of the cavitation is coming from. The wear ring wasn't super tight but shouldn't have caused such bad cavitation. Has anyone ran the speedfreaks nose cone before? i'm not too worried about a performance gain but it makes sense to me. I've ran mine plenty with no cone and it seems to do good but i like having something to help keep grease in. I was hoping this 15/20 would give me a better hole shot than the 14/19 but so far i'm having trouble.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 01xdime View Post
    I finally got a 15/20 in my RXT the other day and was instantly disapointed because my hole shot is gone due to terrible cavitation. 2 things were interesting when i pulled the pump out. First the WSM wear ring i installed with the prop was not nearly tight to the prop. I've used these before for friends and customers and never had problems but this was the first time in my ski. Second was the stock nose cone which i've always ran with success on solas impellers due to the fact that it holds the threads better and has less tendency to come loose like the solas does over time. It was starting to bulge in the center and looked like it was close to folding back like i had happen once before.

I'm wondering if this is where most of the cavitation is coming from. The wear ring wasn't super tight but shouldn't have caused such bad cavitation. Has anyone ran the speedfreaks nose cone before? i'm not too worried about a performance gain but it makes sense to me. I've ran mine plenty with no cone and it seems to do good but i like having something to help keep grease in. I was hoping this 15/20 would give me a better hole shot than the 14/19 but so far i'm having trouble.
    Bro, put an oem plastic wear ring in and I bet its all better. I've got a couple pumps and have ran the same prop from one pump to the other and a few thou extra clearance makes a big difference. I have one with a brand new plastic wear ring and one with a barely used stainless liner and the one with the stainless liner will spin the prop coming out of a corner. The new oe plastic hooks like crazy because of the tighter clearance.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah i know. I'm going to put the 14/19 back in it and see visually if there's a difference. I've always used OEMs but i didn't have one and the WSM was on the shelf. I have had luck with the WSMs though. Same with the OEM nose cone. Even with the OEM wear ring though the 14/19 was spinning so thats why i'm wondering about the nose cone. I'm also used to the solas props fitting really tight in a new wear ring and in this case no dice.

Thread Information