Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

Registering a Ski Advice

So I been calling my friend lately and almost daily about the title of the ski I bought from him, he is the type of person that loses everything and if it wasn't cause his ass is attached to him that would also been lost.

I bought the ski from him a while back for $250 he (has or had) the title for it, I know that for sure, but he was in the process of moving and he doesnt know where he put it at, I know he is not trying to shaft me and he is being honest about it. Or else I would have never bought the ski, I know some of you might think that he might stiff me and claim a clean running ski back..But thats not the case here, I'm sure its somewhere but it will be years by the time he stumbles across the title. He pretty much honestly told me to file for a lost title cause he either lost it or misplaced it.

My question is, how do I file or what do I say to be able to get a title for my ski so I can be legal and ride in public waters, I need to gather as much advice and info before I go back and forth to the Texas Parks And Wildlife, I rather be all prepared and just hand it to them, than running all over the place.

I had a crazy thought about buying an XPL hull and swap the VIN and just using that title, but its not a great idea, if I chose to sell it.

Thanks

+1
    if the regi is in his name have him go down to dmv and file a lost regi form.. cost me 2 bucks.. you need the hull number and if his name was on it he need to do it.. thats the easyest

+1
    IDK about Texas Law, but in LA, you would have the previous owner (your friend) apply for a duplicate title. Once the new title comes in, you fill out the docs. to have it transferred into your name.

Meanwhile I would have a bill of sale drawn up stating all the particulars: buyer, seller, date, amount, PWC description... Get it notarized and keep it in the ski along w/any other supporting docs. you may have (registration card, proof of insurance, ...?)

I would strongly suggest against "hull swapping" until you have procured ownership as per the Texas state law.

Just my 3 cents... and good luck.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I went to the the Parks and Wildlife, and its easier than what I thought, I got a hold of the original owner.

My friend who lost the title said he is willing to cover all the expenses,
    Parks and Wildlife said to get him (original owner) to sign the paperwork and it will be 20-30 days until the original owner gets the new title. Then he will need to sign the back and get it transferred to my name. Once the paperwork for the lost title is turned in, I can renew the tag with his permission while I'm waiting on the title to arrive to him.

+1

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    good luck texas is a pain in the but

Thread Information