Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "A Monsters Work is Never Done"

66V Crankshaft Recommendation

I have a 2K xl1200 LTD that I have been tearing apart due to a #3 piston issue. I have purchased the parts that I found bad as I went along. After I got further into the engine I found water in the bottom of the engine. I split the case and I think the crank should be replaced. The bearings do not seem as smooth as I think they should be and why take a chance. So my question is, shall I buy a used crank from someone or have mine rebuilt? How do I know the crank I am buying is any good? I really did not want to sink a bunch of money into the project but I realize that a crank failure can get ugly real quick. I appreciate any constructive advice as I have not rebuilt an engine in a long time.

I thought your crank was shot, dont buy mine, send yours to crankworks and let them check and fix if needed. Youll have rebuilt crank and wont be out much if any more. I dont want to sell you something you dont need. Sometimes those bearing will feal weird if there dry from sitting long time. clean it good and soke in oil for a while and then spin them. You dont want to have any catch spots or a grinding feeling but they will make a light roar noise when there dry. Its really hard to explain but a feal thing. Any good local mechanic can check then for you. Try a tranmission shop they check bearing all the time. I would buy a new mag bearing crank seals if you decide to run it though.

+1
    I us ShortBlocksRus.com for crankshafts and engines there Fast and they do Cherry Work.
    I buy over 100 cranks and engines a year from them for my shop.

Here is a link to there site and your Yamaha 1200 PV crank
    http://www.shortblocks-r-us.com/prod...categoryId=102
    They have FREE RETURN SHIPPING and 10% off for Green Hulk Members

Quote Originally Posted by theevette View Post
    I thought your crank was shot, dont buy mine, send yours to crankworks and let them check and fix if needed. Youll have rebuilt crank and wont be out much if any more. I dont want to sell you something you dont need. Sometimes those bearing will feal weird if there dry from sitting long time. clean it good and soke in oil for a while and then spin them. You dont want to have any catch spots or a grinding feeling but they will make a light roar noise when there dry. Its really hard to explain but a feal thing. Any good local mechanic can check then for you. Try a tranmission shop they check bearing all the time. I would buy a new mag bearing crank seals if you decide to run it though.

Thanks for the info. I am concerned because there was water in the engine. When I spin the bearings rusty water comes out. I am not sure how long it has been soaking in water and I cannot see into the bearing to check them out. If your crank is good to go then it may be a cheaper way to get the ski running as it appears to get them rebuilt will cost more.

Update. I took an air hose and blew out the fluids in the bearings. They seem to turn real free and are snug on the shaft except for the one next to the flywheel. That one is much looser than all the others and it can rock a bit on the shaft. I will know more when I get the flywheel off and then I can remove the bearing. I really appreciate all the help I have been receiving and I hope to be able to return same in the future. Another question, how do I remove the PTO coupler off the shaft without screwing something else up?

+1
    I went to boats.net and bought a brand new yamaha crank and never had a second thought about it......dont cut any corners...not worth it when things go BOOOM. I think stadium yamaha has or used to have a hook-up on cranks.

Theyre around 640 shipped from stadium. If your bearing are rusty there bad. If you decide to go that way let me know but I would call crankworks and check price first.

Quote Originally Posted by theevette View Post
    Theyre around 640 shipped from stadium. If your bearing are rusty there bad. If you decide to go that way let me know but I would call crankworks and check price first.
    Sent Crank Works an e-mail and have not heard back.

What are the bearing made of? I thought they were stainless steel.

+1
    buy OEM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information