Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another tach question

So i've had it with my tiny tach. It appears to be accurate to about 6500 rpm. but when i go WOT, it's saying somewhere betwen 7800-8200 rpm, yeah i'm turning a 14/20 on a ported boat, but i thought the rev limiter is around 7400 so i'm gonna go ahead and assume my TT is full of it.

I'm probably going to break down and get a PET-2100 but i want to see some pics of how you guys have them mounted up. Right now i have my Tiny tach mounted on a bracket (used chassis of a cd deck, works great) under the windscreen, and i'd like to see if the new tach would be able to fit on the same area.

Alternatively, if anyone has some advice on how to get my TT to read a little more accurate that'd be great too. Yes i've searched, and yes it is a commercial version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0513001725.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	660.3 KB 
ID:	188030  

Midlothian Virginia USA ~ On the James River~
    +1
    I have the commercial Tiny Tach also.Were do you have the Tach/engine RPM setting at? (degree's of rotation) I had to set mine at 180 to get it to read right. It was set at 360 when I got it, that made it read double the RPM that the motor was actually turning.

32 Valves To Love! Racecar_Dave's Avatar
    +1
    Buy a real tach

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg97gp View Post
    I have the commercial Tiny Tach also.Were do you have the Tach/engine RPM setting at? (degree's of rotation) I had to set mine at 180 to get it to read right. It was set at 360 when I got it, that made it read double the RPM that the motor was actually turning.
    I think mine is 180*. If it looks right it is.
    -360* or 720* will be WAY off.

You only have to set this once. Sounds like your getting interference. Check the ground. Also, I run the tach lead one twist around each sparkplug lead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	188056  

I would like to have it if you get rid of

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    I think mine is 180*. If it looks right it is.
    -360* or 720* will be WAY off.

You only have to set this once. Sounds like your getting interference. Check the ground. Also, I run the tach lead one twist around each sparkplug lead.
    see here's the thing, i'm going to guess it's a bad ground or the thing has finally bit the dust. Last season i had some issues with it, but found out i just needed to coil the pickup wire around the leads more, so each lead has the wire coiled around each plug wire about 5 times. I'm going to try re grounding it. It appears to be accurate till about 7K and then it just isn't accurate so hopefully a poor ground would cause that.

120*

Moderated
    dont waste your time with tiny tachs, they are rubbish.

invest in a pet tach, they are 50x better, far more accurate and simply work.

I have mine mounted with stick on velcro on the glove box lid so i can move it or remove it whenever i need to.

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post

I have mine mounted with stick on velcro on the glove box lid so i can move it or remove it whenever i need to.
    iz, nothing wrong with the commercial tiny tach units, when they are used as designed... cheap enough that when it craps out, you can get another without breaking the bank...
    they work well enough to tune the ski...

+1

tiny tach

Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post

agreed, at low rpm there unstable, it was a pain trying to lock in the right rpms for jetworks valve, but once out on the water at a reasonable speed ,rpms seem stable comparing it to stock bar tach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information