San Diego

How Fudged am I? Need Help Please!

Ok guys, I am humbly asking for some assistance.

The Problem: 2002 Yamaha GP1200R died now wont start.

The Situation: Last season I installed a Riva high flow exhaust as shown

I hacked up an original tube and removed the 'silencer', replacing it with the aluminum tube you see there.

The first time out, after about 5 minutes, the ski started to bog down and die. It fired back up, bogged and died again, then once more. After the final death the ski wouldnt fire at all and I was towed in.

When I pulled it out of the water I was able to crank it and go through the normal flush routine but the motor was obviously running poorly and sounded like it was about to blow up.

Well I didnt touch the thing until this morning (about 6 months).

The first thing I did was pull the plugs, here they are:

No bueno. There is obviously corrosion on the #2 cylinder, and all three had some sort of corrosion on the top of the plug.

I did a poor man's compression test (with my finger) and all cylinders seem to have compression although one did seem lower, but who knows, I need a gauge to properly tell.

Well I replaced the plugs and gave it a go but no surprise it still didnt fire.

Additionally there is a fair bit of greenish 'goo' resting in the bottom of the hull as seen here:

It seems that my next step is to remove the head but I really dont want to and am scared what I might find.

Here is a picture of the covered #2 cylinder:

I was hoping one of yall in your infinite wisdom would have encountered this before and can lead me in the right direction. I'm really hoping this isnt a total loss and instantly regretted putting on the exhaust.

Please help a brotha out, if youre in San Diego or know someone here who is proficient with these things than that could be really helpful too.

Thanks Guys!!!!!

South MS
    Check your number 2 oil line and see if its still hooked up.....just guessing since you see something in your might be oil????

San Diego
    thanks for the quick reply and suggestion, that seems like a natural place to start.

I realized I posted this issue before and here is a link to the original thread.

again sorry mods, rookie mistake.

Rock Tavern, NY
    You need to answer the question. What is the compression?
    With all the plugs out it should still pop your thumb off the plug hole when you bump the starter.

Thread Information