replacing plug wires on GP1200

I need to fix one of my plug wires so I figured I would replace all 3.

Is there anyway to use a universal kit? I see the wires are epoxied into coils. Can I just pull them out?

+1
    Usually your good just to trim 1" off them and put them back into the boots. I recommend John at Jet ski soultions to do the wires for you.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    Usually your good just to trim 1" off them and put them back into the boots. I recommend John at Jet ski soultions to do the wires for you.
    M
    +1
    Best bang for the buck.

Can't trim it anymore the center wire is too short. I need another set. So there is no way to DIY this?

Here is the DIY site very easy project.

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/

Geez $78 for three plug wires plus shipping. THis guy is not cheap. I guess I have no other choices.

Replacing the wires is not difficult. Need to find out required resistance for the wires before buying. My 701 has high resistance wires and my 1100 has fairly low resistance wires. I found ohms specified in the various Yamaha manuals found online.
    With this info I went to auto parts store and bought two appropriate sets of auto wires for either a four or six cyl engine, as available in local Advance Auto inventory. You get "spares" that way also! You can use either 6 or 7 mm wires (outside diameter), but the 6 will be easier to install into the mounting pocket.
    I used a skinny exacto blade and cut the glue around the wire mount all the way to bottom of pocket. Do not break the center pin that feeds into the wire itself. Once glue cut, the wire pulled out fairly clean, requiring minimum clean out of the pocket.
    Cutting new wires to slightly longer than necessary for the position (allows later trimming if needed), I started the wire into the pocket until I felt it was hitting the pin, applied a thin coat of Gorilla glue to the wire surface that was to be embedded, then pressed the wire in until it seated.
    I then tested resistance of the unit while glue was wet to be assured things were seated correctly and had appropriate resistance, then allowed to dry overnight before installing.
    Worked fine. Total cost about $20 for two sets of wires, with spare materials on inventory now.

+1
    There is a post with a method for doing this with pictures search for it, I would but no time right now.

Thread Information