Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to jump waves

Hi I have a 1997 sl 700 .

What the best way to jump wakes or waves? I usually it the gas and aim for the second wave in a wake. When I go over waves I just hit the gas and go. Should I position the trim differently (it's usually down). Should I stand up and shift my weight? I am usually sitting closer to the front.

trim 3/4 up stand up with feet as far back as you can and slam the throttle at the right moment. If you get to much weight up front you might nose dive into the second wave and go over the handle bars (no fun)

+1
    Or worse yet, you can land your chest right into the handlebars don't forget your life vest, if you're in the water and you can't breathe then you can't swim. Try to have your feet right back it helps landing the rear first!

+1
    lean back and punch it, land ass end first. if you jump 2 or 3 waves at 1 time, make sure you hit the down side of the waves or else youll eat the wave over the bow! lol 400 gallons of water instantly in your lap.

Stand up with your knees bent a little and watch the handlebars dont take your teeth out!. if you sit down and jump. it will be very unsteady when you hit the water.. and no way to cushion the fall.

My SLT is heavy and when it hits, it hits hard. and if your near the hull when it hits, it will hurt you. keep your body from contacting the ski as you land.. kinda like a skier flying over a jump. land softly and straight.

if ya land cocked to one side, it may dig in and throw ya off. If you have sponsons, it will really dig sideways. Watch some UTUBE vids of people jumping waves.. I do it all the time..

Remember, the law is---150 feet from the back of a boats wake before you can jump it legally. Good luck!

it will be interesting to see how the Pro jumps waves. I bet it can launch pretty good off a 3 or 4 footer.

+1

Cool Barge

The Barges on the Ohio River are best. Heading up stream they really make huge waves. You will get hurt eventually. if you land just right it kind of compresses the vertabre in your lower spine.
    Last year my riding partner got air lifted from Brookville lake in Indiana. He broke his hip in two places , only about 30 years old.
    Its fun, But if you do it all the time eventually you will pay.

http://www.wcpo.com/mostpopular/stor...-_EFYPygQ.cspx

+1
    Yep no doubt you will get hurt. Just start slow, maybe jumping a boat wake and practice that for a while before getting out into an ocean swell. Heck you can even move up to a passenger ferry - now that's fun. You need to know your machine first! I have a buddy that bought an MSX-140 we went out last year. Idiot decided to punch through the biggest wave he could find, first go of course. I can tell you he got so scared he just let go and jumped off the ski in mid air. Know the limitations of the machine, of yourself and go have some fun.

I'm about 6 months away from testing my pro on the waves!!!!!Hey Bow, get yourself one of them helmet cams so I can get a preview as your summer is just round the corner - just don't land too hard on that shiny ride plate huh!

+1
    Helmut cam huh? lol that would be sweet. I dont have my video camera/camera. it broke a few months ago. all i have is a 4 mg camera now.. maybe a helmut cam could be a possibility..

.maybe if i can get a deal on one i will.

+1
    My old Gf took out my SLT and wouldnt get if off it the first time she rode it. she loved it.. she went out about 3/4 mile off shore and hit a 40 foot boats wake along with the 3 and 4 footers on the river and she flew way up in the air and slammed her ankle pretty bad. took her forever to get back on the ski and get back to land. she didnt wave jump anymore after that.
    I bet she went 15ft up in the air.lol its not the launch that hurts, it the LANDING! .

Now if your good,and u have balls, you can jump 2 or 3 waves and come off the backside of the third and punch it off to the next set of 3 waves and keep doing that.. thats fun and doesnt hurt at all. unless ya miss! Gotta be going at least 30 mph to jump that far.

+1
    i had this boat that slowed down for me once..was a friends boat.. 24 fter.. he was making some big big waves for my sl650.. i had hit the wave full blast (48 gps) and launched clear over the wake while in air my key flew out and the whisle wacked me in the... well you know... and over shot the other side of the wake and hit my face on the pad...

they didnt know if they should laugh or make sure i was ok..they did both.. lol who new a whisle could hurt so bad..

so after that i found the sweet spot and pumped them perfect... but thats the summer i broke 3 1/2 engine mounts and fried my stator..bc the engine cut the wires on the stator and some how killed everything.. lol its fun but can cost you big money..

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    For the short hulled machines a 40° to 60° approach on the line that the wake producing boat is moving on (hitting the wake square), opposite the direction of the of movement of the wake producing boat. I usually aim for the second peak where the first wave crests producing a smooth entry at about 30 mph. The result is crisp. See below diagram: arrows indicate direction of movement (hopefully the spacing stays intact).

You wake producing
    \ ^
    \ l
    \ l
    \ l
    \ l
    \ l
    >

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information