Thread: The overheater.

The overheater.

So, I got the overheat light, and the ski slowed down. I have a 1999 Ultra 150. The side pisser was pouring out some hot water, but was still flowing pretty fast to where there was obviously no obstruction on that line. It felt hot, but nothing hotter than what I had previously noticed before. I did switch my oil over today to the regular Kawasaki lube performance 2 stroke oil. Its tc-w3 so that shouldn't be the problem I dont think. The overheating light turned off after 10 seconds and I headed out of the water.

I checked the cooling lines when I hooked my home garden hose to the flusher, All were pouring out nicely except the far left nozzle located just on top of the pump housing in the back of the jet ski. There is four total in this area but the far left was not pouring water while the others were. Is this an engine cooling line? Bilge pump maybe? Nothing was coming out! Help?

Last edited by Jetskiin4evr; 05-13-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to Mention the Ski I have

The far left one is the drain from the air box under the rear of the seat. The large one toward the middle is the exhaust pisser and the last 2 small ones come from the #2 and 3 cylinders.

The temp sensor is located in the side of the exhaust pipe. For it to trip an overheat flow has to stop thru the exhaust jacket. When that happens you either clogged the main cooling line comming from the pump or the bypass comming off the stinger section of the exhaust.

Do yourself a favor and call skiworx for one of their tripple pisser kits. It moves all 3 of your cylinder pissers up front where you can see them and instead of having 90deg head fittings it uses strait fittings. If you clog a cylinder fitting it can kill the motor before you know it.

Exhaust cooling question?

Im not quite sure I understand completely, can the water still be flowing out of the side pisser, but not through the exhaust areas that you mentioned? There didn't seem to be any obstruction on that single line. Im sorry if this is a basic question, but I haven't owned this ski for long.

Yes you could have water out the side pisser from the #1 cylinder but #2 or 3 be stopped up. Or the exhaust pisser could get plugged and you would still have water out the cylinder pissers. It is a well known problem to get a piece of trash caught in one of those 90deg head fittings. If that happens it wont trip the overheat light but the piston can come apart and get shoved though the bottom case. I had that happen after putting 2 hours on my first ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    Yes you could have water out the side pisser from the #1 cylinder but #2 or 3 be stopped up. Or the exhaust pisser could get plugged and you would still have water out the cylinder pissers. It is a well known problem to get a piece of trash caught in one of those 90deg head fittings. If that happens it wont trip the overheat light but the piston can come apart and get shoved though the bottom case. I had that happen after putting 2 hours on my first ultra.

believe in BTL hes god at cooling.. and i agree with his advice... thats a down flaw of that cooling design.. triple pisser kit will not only make the ski a bit more attractive with that stock modified racer look but it could save you from having to buy a new ski/engine because of a small clog you cant see.

Thread Information