Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Riva Free Flow RXTX 255

Had a look around and can't find a straight answer on either the forum or any other site.

Just want to know a bit about the free flow exhaust system. Sorry if it has been answered before. Just link me up if it has.

So I would like to install the free flow exhaust on my '08 RXT X 255. (look in my signature for specs)

1) how much of a power gain will i get realistically and where along the throttle range will the power be? any top speed increase?

2) does

http://www.rivayamaha.com/RivaStore/...0Exhaust%20Kit

come with everything i need to install it? Rivas site is not all that helpfull!

3) are there any cons of installation?

4) how good will it really sound it real world conditions?

5) when i install, is there anything i should be wary of? anything I should be extra cautious about (i have never worked on a ski before)

Thanks for any links/ help. Much appreciated.

First, the gain around 200 RPM
    second, if you want to order go to Green hulk store and save 10% on price

+1
    I say this with no disrespect...If these instructions arent clear you should not mod the ski yourself.

I think boBO was thinking about the through hull kit when he mentioned the 200 rpm's ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    The fun starts when you go to take the resonator out. You DO NOT have to take the VTS out to remove the resonator.
    Just cut the resonator into thirds and Wala--out it comes. Also be sure to shop vac all the black plastic bits out of the hull.

Thanks for advice. And yes I have looked at Riva's supplied instructions and it does look easy enough. Was just curious about any other bit of information I may need.

You may want to consider the R&D kit. It is a two piece kit that goes from the waterbox back to the stock thru-hull fitting, eliminating the resonator. The kit comes with two couplings and 5 clamps. Eliminating the exhaust hose really frees up the room around the rear of the engine and you can actually get to the coolant tank. The annoying resonant hum that you got with the free flow kits on the older skis with the J-pipe type water box is not present at all. The ski sounds great on the trailer and in the water. The R&D kit is a bit pricey, but I would recommend it to anyone.

I put the R&D kit on my wife's ski this Spring and I put the free-flow pipe (from the waterbox back to the stock outlet) on my father-in-laws 06 RXT a few years ago. The 06 RXT has an annoying resonant sound when @ 3500 rpm's and is much louder when on the seat at cruising speed than the RXTX is with the R&D pipe.

To remove the resonator, simply disconnect the clamps and the bolt holding the resonator to the hull--pull the throttle body leaving the cables attached and set it aside---and pull the air intake to the supercharger...the resonator will slide right out.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    You may want to consider the R&D kit. It is a two piece kit that goes from the waterbox back to the stock thru-hull fitting, eliminating the resonator. The kit comes with two couplings and 5 clamps. Eliminating the exhaust hose really frees up the room around the rear of the engine and you can actually get to the coolant tank. The annoying resonant hum that you got with the free flow kits on the older skis with the J-pipe type water box is not present at all. The ski sounds great on the trailer and in the water. The R&D kit is a bit pricey, but I would recommend it to anyone.

I put the R&D kit on my wife's ski this Spring and I put the free-flow pipe (from the waterbox back to the stock outlet) on my father-in-laws 06 RXT a few years ago. The 06 RXT has an annoying resonant sound when @ 3500 rpm's and is much louder when on the seat at cruising speed than the RXTX is with the R&D pipe.

To remove the resonator, simply disconnect the clamps and the bolt holding the resonator to the hull--pull the throttle body leaving the cables attached and set it aside---and pull the air intake to the supercharger...the resonator will slide right out.

Mark
    Alright, I shall look into it. Regarding the riva free flow you installed, if I was really after something cheaper, I mean how is the resonant sound? And for what the riva kit is, is it worth it? or Too many downturns knowing what else you can get?

If you follow the Riva instructions make sure you have a way to remove the VTS nut. You can either purchase the VTS tool or make your own. As far as performance goes I would say little to no gain, just gain more sound.

I have never installed the Riva free-flow on an RXTX. The Riva kit you're looking at just replaces the resonator and frees up some exhaust flow. It should not increase the noise much at all. You still have the long rubber exhaust hose with several bends in it. At least you won't have to worry about the resonator failing or a hose popping off it and sinking your ski. I'm sure there are way more Riva kits sold than the R&D kits.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I have never installed the Riva free-flow on an RXTX. The Riva kit you're looking at just replaces the resonator and frees up some exhaust flow. It should not increase the noise much at all. You still have the long rubber exhaust hose with several bends in it. At least you won't have to worry about the resonator failing or a hose popping off it and sinking your ski. I'm sure there are way more Riva kits sold than the R&D kits.

Mark
    Removing the resonator DEFINATELY makes the ski much louder, and at about 3000 rpm the thing resonates like hell. Of course if you like lots of noise its cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information