broken rockrer arm stretch bolt....

Yeah what to do now???? I got a little carried away and snapped a rocker arm bolt. Any idea's what I'm going to need to do to get it out?

Thanks
    Thomas 361-876-5218

+1
    I guess when the other bolts are removed and the Rock shaft off you can not get to the bolt? It actually broke bellow the head rock shaft bed/ seated area? Wow. Sorry

Yep it's broken off below the rocker arm shaft.

+1
    drill it out (remove the head or cover everything up) start Very small in the center of the bolt and work you way up go SLOW. then helicoil the hole after the old bolt is gone install a new set of bolts and put back together. thats what I would do.....

Hoping to not have to remove the head. Was thinking of trying and drilling into the bolt and trying to use a easy out bit. I just have not had great luck with the easy outs, have had them snap off then you have another problem. What about leaving the head on and covering everything up(like Lvnspeed said) and use a 90% drill and drill it out, but I'm guessing there's not another size stretch bolt so you could rethread it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvnspeed View Post
    drill it out (remove the head or cover everything up) start Very small in the center of the bolt and work you way up go SLOW. then helicoil the hole after the old bolt is gone install a new set of bolts and put back together. thats what I would do.....
    If I go the helicoil route, where is the best place to purchase them?
    Thanks

Whatever you do, be very careful not to break the ez out or a tap in the aluminum head as you will have major issues getting either of those hardened
    items out. I broke off a tap in my rxp head and like a dummy tried to drill into the hardened tap very carefully but the drill bit is never as hard as the tap so the drill bit would wander into the soft aluminum. Had to go to a guy in LA that uses some sort of chemical that dissolves the tap but does not hurt aluminum and he removed the tap and put in a timesert (much better than heli-coil). He gave me a great deal at $45 for the job but I did have to remove the head and take it to him. PM me if you want his #. Good luck
    T C

+1
    I had the same thing happen befor, took me 15min toget it out. I drilled a hole in it then tapped a snap-on torx screw driver into it and very carefully turned it out, Im not a fan of easy outs but i seem to always have good luck by hammering a torx bit in and turning the broken bolts out. I used a long bit with a small rachet & 1/4 socket and slowly turned it out while sprayin nutbuster on it.

heres a pic, it sucks but still will give you an idea of what i did. also after drillin be sure to clean the head very very good.

+1
    I just stripped one of the holes for the rocker bolts as well.

Thats what happens when you take a Valvetrain in and out 10 times

Just put a heli coil in there and its stronger than OEM now.

Was able after still breaking off a small piece of the easy out bit to get a helicoil in. While I was using a shop vac I notice a small mist of moisture(water) coming from that hole. I'm wondering how close the water jackets are to the bolt hole, might have went a fraction deeper while drilling.
    Thanks for the responses.

Thread Information