Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

odyssey battery revival

ok so i know odyssey is a sealed battery which is "matience free" they r great batteries this is the 3rd season ive had mine but it seems not to hold a charge anymore or to barely turn the ski over. ive tried 1 amp trickle charge overnite but still no luck. Is there anyway you can revive them? or not because they r sealed?

heck if not ill gladly buy another one im jsut trying to squeeze a little more life outta it before i do buy another one. they r worth it. before i started using odyssey i use to have to buy a new battery every season........CHA CHING!!!!!!!!!

+1
    take it to a auto parts store and have it tested. i just had the same problem. ski barely turned over like the battery is weak. thought it was the battery and went out and bought a AGM battery. didn't help one bit. turns out the starter is bad. so have it tested to make sure that that is your problem.

+1
    If it is dead, it is dead.

There is not really anything you can do to revive a battery unless it is perhaps low on fluid and then only distilled water can be added (NEVER try to add acid to a battery that has already been filled).

In the case of your battery, which I believe is an AGM, there is no liquid in it so even that is out of the question.

If it tests bad turn it in for a core and move on to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    If it is dead, it is dead.

There is not really anything you can do to revive a battery unless it is perhaps low on fluid and then only distilled water can be added (NEVER try to add acid to a battery that has already been filled).

In the case of your battery, which I believe is an AGM, there is no liquid in it so even that is out of the question.

If it tests bad turn it in for a core and move on to the next one.

Why no on the acid? I understand why only distilled water. It won't cause calcification. Just never heard anyone say not to add acid to a battery before if it is low.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    Why no on the acid?...

Just never heard anyone say not to add acid to a battery before if it is low.
    The sulfuric acid does not evaporate when the battery is overcharged, or just loses some water due to gradual evaporation.

Only the water evaporates. Only the water needs to be replaced.

Adding more acid changes the battery chemistry.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

not to mention

you stand a good chance of putting out your eye if you want to play with battery acid. Nothing good has ever come out of adding acid to a battery.

It's a highly underated dnager.

An odessy battery is toast if it's run flat at a slow draw.

You might as well buy a battery tender and leave it on there for a week to see if it can wake it up...

it's stated in the OD manual that a seadoo computer will kill one of those batteries and the warranty isn't honored if that'sthe case.

there's something warm and fuzzy about having a brandy new battery btw. try it.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I have to add, you guys made me switch over from shitacid to AGM I was buying acid batteries every 8 months, so I switched over to AGM nothing fancy went to my Oreilley Auto, and purchased one, I hooked it to my digital charger and wham! it was 99% charged right off the shelf! I keep it hooked on my ski and test the charge on it every now and then and always amazes me how its 95-100% charged.

ever since I bought an AGM my charger has been collecting dust.

whats this agm battery? ive never heard of it....if you can purchase one at oreilly im gonna get one of those if they have the same exellent performance as a odyssey??....since i have a store 10 miles down the rd.
    btw i left the battery hooked up in the ski all winter so its probally dead

AGM Battery info

AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

A newer type of sealed battery uses "Absorbed Glass Mats", or AGM between the plates. This is a very fine fiber Boron-Silicate glass mat. These type of batteries have all the advantages of gelled, but can take much more abuse. We sell the Concorde (and Lifeline, made by Concorde) AGM batteries. These are also called "starved electrolyte", as the mat is about 95% saturated rather than fully soaked. That also means that they will not leak acid even if broken.

AGM batteries have several advantages over both gelled and flooded, at about the same cost as gelled:

Since all the electrolyte (acid) is contained in the glass mats, they cannot spill, even if broken. This also means that since they are non-hazardous, the shipping costs are lower. In addition, since there is no liquid to freeze and expand, they are practically immune from freezing damage.
    Nearly all AGM batteries are "recombinant" - what that means is that the Oxygen and Hydrogen recombine INSIDE the battery. These use gas phase transfer of oxygen to the negative plates to recombine them back into water while charging and prevent the loss of water through electrolysis. The recombining is typically 99+% efficient, so almost no water is lost.
    The charging voltages are the same as for any standard battery - no need for any special adjustments or problems with incompatible chargers or charge controls. And, since the internal resistance is extremely low, there is almost no heating of the battery even under heavy charge and discharge currents. The Concorde (and most AGM) batteries have no charge or discharge current limits.
    AGM's have a very low self-discharge - from 1% to 3% per month is usual. This means that they can sit in storage for much longer periods without charging than standard batteries. The Concorde batteries can be almost fully recharged (95% or better) even after 30 days of being totally discharged.
    AGM's do not have any liquid to spill, and even under severe overcharge conditions hydrogen emission is far below the 4% max specified for aircraft and enclosed spaces. The plates in AGM's are tightly packed and rigidly mounted, and will withstand shock and vibration better than any standard battery.
    Even with all the advantages listed above, there is still a place for the standard flooded deep cycle battery. AGM's will cost 2 to 3 times as much as flooded batteries of the same capacity. In many installations, where the batteries are set in an area where you don't have to worry about fumes or leakage, a standard or industrial deep cycle is a better economic choice. AGM batteries main advantages are no maintenance, completely sealed against fumes, Hydrogen, or leakage, non-spilling even if they are broken, and can survive most freezes.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by juggaloXPracer View Post
    whats this AGM battery?

I've never heard of it...
    The Odyssey batteries are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type.

AGM batteries are sometimes called 'dry' batteries, since they do not leak, or have spill-able liquid inside.

There is liquid acid in an AGM battery but it is held captive by the fiberglass matting between the battery plates.

See this thread for more info;
    Best Battery Spec

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information