Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Give me the bad news.

So other then my motec ski trying to eat through the stator we have had very few driveline problems on the fzr's we have built. Until now. When my pump failed it was a pretty drastic difference from a ski that would go to a ski that wouldnt go. Now we have a 83mph c3/r2 boat that runs excellent when wide open but has a nasty vibration at a cruise rpm of 3500-4500 rpm. The ski has lost no acceleration or top speed only gained a vibration. It also makes a fairly loud noise when revved on the trailer. We will tear down tomorrow but just looking for a quick heads up for someone who may have experienced the same problem. Thanks!

+1
    check the pump drive shaft for any bends

Your problem is in rotating parts.

hope not the crank!

+1
    I've got the same at 2500 to 4000rpm once I put my prop on. WOT its fine. it really bugs me. I rung yamaha and they said it was from going a bigger prop. which I dont believe since 3 months ago I smashed my jet pump. I hope the shaft isnt bent.......... keep me in the loop if you find the problem.

I got it toooooo. ....

I have a 13/23 fitted that doesn't look to have had any foreign bodies through it.

I can't see how the drivshaft could be bent as the impeller would surely catch the pump tunnel giving a scrapping noise?

+1
    i have read several threads about water in stator with bearings on the sho/fz range...

it might just be bad bearings giving off these symptoms.??????..

i would assume the noise to be worse on the trailer as there is no water to dampen the sound...

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    i have read several threads about water in stator with bearings on the sho/fz range...

i would assume the noise to be worse on the trailer as there is no water to dampen the sound...

+1
    Put on your favorite shirt and then pull off the cone on the pump. If there is water in it fix it.
    I was having this vibration as well, changed out the bearings and seals. No vibration since.

+1
    wasn't there a recall or at the very least an addition of a washer in the pump / impeller area ?????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    wasn't there a recall or at the very least an addition of a washer in the pump / impeller area ?????
    That washer allowed for the impeller to be torqued down more out of the water. I'm fairly certain that is unrelated to this vibration problem.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    +1
    Put on your favorite shirt and then pull off the cone on the pump. If there is water in it fix it.
    I was having this vibration as well, changed out the bearings and seals. No vibration since.
    +1.....sounds like it's time for some yummy Yammi pump milkshake....

The reason that washer was made harder is too avoid the deflection caused by the prop that would cause the 'soft' washer to distort and rub into the face of the front bearing seal. Once the front of that bearing seal is wiped out (usually from a circular rubbing/grinding pattern from the front washer).......water gets in and starts making the yummy milkshake pictured above. Now that water is in ur bearings....then corrosion starts to set in. Then you run ur ski and start grinding/pitting ur bearings.

Over time....the problem gets progressively worse...until...if it gets bad enough....the bearings gets so corroded/pitted/beat up that the vibration starts and when the pump is removed......the driveshaft is difficult to turn in the pump.

Ask me how I know.....

and this whole process is accelerated if the water getting into the pump is salty.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00737.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	188337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	race nutrition.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	188338  

+1
    Duke's got a sticky on changing the bearings without a press (http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41983).

I used his method and it worked like a charm--right beside the Jagermeister.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information