Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

helping lessen turbo lag

hey guys whats up this is my first post and i hope i can get the info i need.
    ok so i ride my friends 04 r12x. we both have a lot of fun with the ski but we dont get to enjoy jumping waves with it as much as we would love because of the turbo lag. now ive been working or turbo cars for years and usually its just a matter of a better wastegate, good boost controller, and better exhaust. now were not looking for "more power" or for more mph just to get rid of the turbo lag (or lessen it). now i know that the wastegate is a part of the down pipe (that was a HORRIBLE idea honda ) so i cant really replace that without making a whole new custom down pipe. i dont want to mess with a manual boost controller and setting up a electric one that can handle the salt water probably would he hard. so i figure id do something with the exhaust. i was thinking of just removing the waterbox and running a straight pipe but im not sure how the water flow is set up on the honda and i dont want water backing up into the turbo.
    so basically can i remove the water box and run a straight pipe?? i would also love to hear from some 1 who has and what there experience was.
    thanks
    joe

+1
    Cheapest thing you can do is a new solas 17/29, and search macc boost, he sells a electronic boost module and intercooler, you can get everything from him... That's about it, there is supposed to be some stuff in the works but it'll be a while, the Honda wasn't intended to be a RXP...

i just realized i posted in the wrong section could u pls move this to honda performance.

how would changing a prop help with turbo lag other then loading the motor up more?? turbo lag has to do with intake and exhaust design. if the intake in long or has complex bends then the intake charge takes longer to reach the engine. if the exhaust is restrictive then the turbo wont be able to spin as quickly because turbine wheel speed is based on exhaust speed and pressure not just exhaust pressure so by making the exhaust less restrictive (like larger pipes or removing the waterbox) then the turbo will be able to spin up faster and sooner. it also has to do with turbine design but were not looking at upgrading the turbo hell we dont even want more power just for it to come in sooner.
    so as i said has any 1 removed the waterbox on a r12x before and if u did what was ur result if not does any 1 have a diagram of the exhaust system so i could get a good idea of the water flow because the only issue i c is depending on the water flow design water can back up into the turbo (which would be bad)
    thanks
    joe

+1
    A new impeller helps with holeshot. You are still going to feel the lag, but it won't cavitate as bad.

Best way to reduce lag on a turbo is to have a good downpipe. an impeller will reduce the cavitation from a standstill but wont help with lag. idont really feel too much lag but i also dont jump waves.

+1
    i just time it; but once you put the macboost or alpha on the lag is much reduced...spool up is quicker.

well ive looked at the macboost but my friend doesnt wanna spend that much money. and yea i would love to change the whole exhaust after the turbine housing but i dont have the skills to make a jacketed exhaust elbow. thats why i figured i would just striaght pipe the exhaust. anyways i was looking through the manual i have and i see no issues with removing the waterbox (all the water is dumped in at the box so i just have to make sure i have the curve right and i wont have to worry about water backing up into the turbo) so once i can get a hand on the ski ill remove the waterbox and let u guys know how much it helps with lag.
    joe

+1
    For some reason, different Hondas have different amounts of turbo lag. I have no real reason why unless it is turbocharger health or timing......
    Some have almost none at all.

maybe it has to do with water flow through the system. but the lag is preaty bad on my friends ski. u can actually count 1-2-3 before it really kicks in. and honestly it doesnt cavitate when u punch it (probably cause of the lag)

+1
    One of mine launches instantly but it stands up and then grunts [cavitates] twice and goes. The second one is almost as good and the third is sluggish, so we are trying to find out why.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information