Questions Re:Water flow

Hi all,
    I'm a little confused as to water flow and direction of hoses etc. for a 97 GP1200. Is there anywhere a clean cut diagram of each and every hose location for this model.

As mentioned in and earlier thread I've split 2 outlet pipes to water box in just 10 outings.

The answers to the following are All YES:
    1) I have checked the water coming out of the pisser at front.
    2) Water does come out the rear hull.
    3) I have pulled the the stinger off and checked water jackets they where clear. Found seal on inside cover in stinger deteriorated
    4) I have blown through each and every hose and they are Not blocked.
    5) I have flushed out the water box, water does flow through it under tap pressure.

What I have found thou upon dismantling the exhaust, are mentioned in the pictures below:

Picture 1:
    Exhaust & side cover clean as a whistle looks like water has never entered in this section. Engine has done just over 200hrs
    Q: Does water not enter this part of the exhaust chamber through either the water jacket on cyl 3 Marked A or through the hose barb marked B ??

Picture 2:
    Does water flow in and around the exhaust chamber as pictured above through the 3rd cyl water jacket along with the small bypass holes in the exhaust gasket for cyl 1 and 2 ??, because if it does well as you can see it never ever has!!!

Picture 3
    Will there be a problem if I connect the garden hose, say to barb A to see if water flows out of barb B and the water jackets with the engine not running??? Providing I block off the exhaust port entry so water doesn't enter inside the crankcase.

Thanks for your time

Regards Charlie....

+1
    Water enters through the transom and into the exhaust manifold at your hose barb B. It travels through the water jackets in the manifold and through the crackcase water jackets and to the cylinder water jackets where it then passes through the head and out each end of the head.

The hose barb on cylinder 1 exits the head and enters into the exhaust elbow on the opposite side of the way it pictured in pic 1. The water then travels through another water jacket inside the stinger.

The hose barb on cylinder 3 exits and is routed around the engine via a hose to the lower barb on the exhause elbow (the big hose that is pictured in pic 1).

Water travels through the water jacket in the exhaust and up to the pisser at the top of the elbow. It also travels to the back to the rear of the exhause and through the to the waterbox.

The only way water will enter the crackcase is if water is forced through the engine, head, pipe via the water jackets and the water box fills up and back fills the actual exhaust section of the pipe. This can happen when being towed or when running on the hose and the engine is off.

Your picture #2 looks like water was in the water jacket to me. There is corrosion. I think it looks like water has entered everywhere you say it hasnt. But I am not an expert by any means.

If you ran a hose from cyl. 3 to cyl. 1. it will probably come out cyl. 1 and it should flow down the engine to the exhause manifold and out that hose to the transom where it would normally enter for cooling. I dont see anything wrong with that. There would be no hose connected to the pipe so you should be safe on that aspect. Nothing to fill the crankcase.

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    Water enters through the transom and into the exhaust manifold at your hose barb B. It travels through the water jackets in the manifold and through the crackcase water jackets and to the cylinder water jackets where it then passes through the head and out each end of the head.

The hose barb on cylinder 1 exits the head and enters into the exhaust elbow on the opposite side of the way it pictured in pic 1. The water then travels through another water jacket inside the stinger.

The hose barb on cylinder 3 exits and is routed around the engine via a hose to the lower barb on the exhause elbow (the big hose that is pictured in pic 1).

Water travels through the water jacket in the exhaust and up to the pisser at the top of the elbow. It also travels to the back to the rear of the exhause and through the to the waterbox.

The only way water will enter the crackcase is if water is forced through the engine, head, pipe via the water jackets and the water box fills up and back fills the actual exhaust section of the pipe. This can happen when being towed or when running on the hose and the engine is off.

Your picture #2 looks like water was in the water jacket to me. There is corrosion. I think it looks like water has entered everywhere you say it hasnt. But I am not an expert by any means.

If you ran a hose from cyl. 3 to cyl. 1. it will probably come out cyl. 1 and it should flow down the engine to the exhause manifold and out that hose to the transom where it would normally enter for cooling. I dont see anything wrong with that. There would be no hose connected to the pipe so you should be safe on that aspect. Nothing to fill the crankcase.

Akjose: Thanks for your time and for going to great lenghts to explain how the water should circulate.
    Due to spliting 2 rubber outlet pipe between stinger and water box in a short period of time, I decide to remove the stinger to check if the water jackets in it where blocked. Upon dismantling it I found a considerable amount of sand / pebbles in it but No blockage at the water jackets. Stinger (pictured below).

Seeing how much debri was in the stinger, I thought might as well do the job right and continued to dismantle the exhaust and clean that out as well. Upon removing the side cover fearing the worst I was shocked to find the cover plate and exhaust without any trace of the garbage that I found in the Stinger. The (picture below) of the exhaust and cover haven't been cleaned, this is exactly how it come off the GP. This is why I asked the question of the flow direction, because to me there is no way that the hose coming from the transom which connects to the lower hose barb on the side cover has fed this section with water. You can see salt build up in and around the cylinder walls right up to the water jackets but thats about it.
    Why would there be no corrosion in this section??? Thats why I'm thinking it has a flow problem or the hose not routed properly!!!

Cheers Charlie

+1
    I dont see why it woulud be splitting the rubber. I would think it would melt it was due to getting too hot.

Thread Information