Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 SLTH - how to repair rock in center of hull

After putting the ski in the lake I noticed some water in the hull just aft of the fuel tank. Not a lot of water but I looked at the hull and there is (what i think) a 3/4 inch rock flush with the hull.

What is the best way to repair? the rock is in there tight.

I have never worked with fiberglass, but I do learn quick when motivated to ride

I rode the ski with the seat off and sure enough water comes from under the fuel tank. Sitting at the dock, no water. Only under a load and the rock is right where the hull contacts the water when accelerating

thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Get it fixed properly before you sink the hull.

The rock may seem to be tightly wedged in the hole, but the hull flexes during riding. The rock can work loose unexpectedly.

It will take some effort to get the hull cleaned up and ready for repair, and then do the actual repair.

It is still much less work than doing the repair AFTER sinking the hull, repairing the flooded engine and then repairing the hull.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

item of note

some polaris hulls are not made of fiberglass and require special repair methods...isn't that right ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    some Polaris hulls are not made of fiberglass and require special repair methods...isn't that right ?
    Many Polaris hulls are made using SMC (Sheet Molded Compound).

The 1999 SLTH hull is made with SMC.

Polyester repair materials commonly used with fiberglass should not be used with SMC.

Use epoxy based repair materials with SMC.

From the manual;

SMC Hull Repair

The hull and top deck on some models are constructed of sheet molded compound (SMC) which is an epoxy
    based, rigid, reinforced material.

The processes used to manufacture the hull involve high heat and pressure.

Once this process is complete it cannot be reversed. Therefore, hot air welding or similar methods cannot be
    used to repair damage.

A two part rigid structural adhesive such as 3M #08101 or equivalent is acceptable for SMC materials. Patch
    kits are locally available at most auto supply stores.
    Be sure to follow the directions carefully according to the repair kit package.

After any repairs are made the hull can be prepped and painted using a base coat/clear coat marine quality paint.

Caution: Do not use power sanding equipment on the repair area or bond strength may be affected. Hand sand only.

+1

and that is why Sir...

you earned the title of My goto guy for all things polaris

so..using fiberglass is a no-no for your repair

Now I have a couple of virage's in shop now ( ex rentals) and one of them has a rather large gouge on the hull, and it sure looks lke fiberglass..but...

from the inside design of the hull, it appears that it's smc. Those hideous molded square nooks and crannies that makes it tough to clean up after an injection oil "event"

so..for the newbie ( that includes me btw)are these square ridges inside the hull a clear sign of an smc based product?

Scratch on hull

I have a 1997 Polaris SLT780 that has a scrape on the bottom of the hull as well. I got the boat and trailer for nothing so I am not complaining. It had no spark and I was able to get her to fire up with a new CDI.

I would like to repair that scratch on the bottom of the hull though so I would like to know if mine is made out of fiberglass or SMC?

I noticed what looks like a repair in the rear. The material is like dark gray in color.

I appreciate any help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ...from the inside design of the hull, it appears that it's SMC.

Those hideous molded square nooks and crannies that makes it tough to clean up after an injection oil "event"

...are these square ridges inside the hull a clear sign of an SMC based product?
    Generally speaking, the molded ridges inside the hull do indicate SMC. As does the internal surface smoothness.

SMC can be molded without, or with very few, of those reinforcement ridges, depending on the hull mold design and how thick the primary SMC layer is.

Fiberglass is usually easy to tell from the inside, as you can often see the rough(er) glass matting showing on the inside surface.

SMC compound often has reinforcing strands impregnated throughout the material, so when it is damaged, the wound can have a slightly 'hairy' look.

I think some Polaris hulls are a combination of the two materials, with SMC used for the bottom half of the hull, and fiberglass used for the upper deck.
    Or was it the other way around?

Attached is an unfortunate gouge in one of my own SMC hulls. It sat like that for a while (before I got it), hence the dirt rubbed into the wound.

You can clearly see the molded ribs in the SMC compound on the inside of the Virage hull.

You can also see the 'hairline' cracks that are common in those same SMC ribs, especially around and just forward of the Virage hull's front engine mounts.

As longs as the cracking is not extensive, and chunks of the ribbing are not cracking away or missing, the hull strength is probably OK.

Bernie had his rental Virages pounding in the ocean surf day after day, and those Virage hulls cracked the ribbing so much that the SMC became flexible. He could press on the hull from below with his hand, and see the hull flexing inwards. Not good.

That was repaired with strong layers of glass matting and epoxy bonding applied to the entire bottom of the hull around the front of the engine, from the fuel tank back under the engine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3717.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	188369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3M 08101 SMC two part (epoxy) repair compound.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	188370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2445.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	188371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Virage TXi front fuel tank mount web cranking a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	188372   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2451.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	188373  

K447,

Thanks for the info. So I will be working with SMC.

After I get the rock out do I need to use the epoxy on the outside and inside? or am I ok with only an exterior repair.

Thanks again for your input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tjruberg View Post
    ...After I get the rock out do I need to use the epoxy on the outside and inside? ..
    Post up some clear photos, so we can see what needs repair, and how big the hole is.

+1

great pics

as always..thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information