Exclamation 96 slt700 coil replacement HELP PLEASE!!!

First off thanx for the help, Newbie to this awesome site!!!

I just had my whole motor rebuilt even a new crankshaft, I dropped it in and hooked everything up. Went to start it and nothing. So i did some research and found out I had a bad starter solenoid. So I replaced it. However in order to test it I arced the two terminals on the solenoid. I believe by doing that I have wrecked my coil pack. Because now I have spark on only only plug. Does this sound correct? A bad coil?

If so does a coil pack from a 1999 slth 700 fit a 1996 slt 700?

Thanx again for all the help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does your engine have the original ignition system, or the Update Kit?
    The CDI part number will tell you.

Jumping the solenoid terminals might have caused a voltage spike that could fry the CDI.

You can ohm test the coil pack. My suspicion is that you have the original ignition, and the CDI or stator has failed.

The Ignition System Update Kit costs about $300, and it includes a new generation CDI, new stator, new coil pack, and new spark plug wires.

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

How do I tell whether I have an updated or original type domestic ignition?
    What does a non-updated two cylinder Ignition coil look like?
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

Polaris domestic engine Ignition System Update Kits

All 1996-1999 two and three cylinder carburetor engines [excludes all 1999 1200(1165cc) engines]
    Kit part numbers 2873091, 2873022, 2873355, 2873356
    2873022 1996-1997 Hurricane and twin carburetor 1998-1999
    2873355 1996-1997 twin carburetor except Hurricane
    2873091 1996-1998 three cylinder 900cc and 1050cc engines
    2873356 1999 1050cc three cylinder engines only
    The original factory ignition in these 1996-1999 engines was not reliable over time, so Polaris issued ignition update kits.
    '...It WILL fail eventually...'
    Each kit includes an updated CDI module, magneto stator, and for the two cylinder engines a new Ignition Coil.

You can check whether you already have the update by checking your CDI part number.

+1
    In my opinion, jumping the solenoid should not have hurt anything. The cable you are jumping to goes directly to the starter.

Most common reason for no-spark on one spark plug would be a loose/bad connection at the plug boot on the older style plug wires.
    You can ohm test the coil and wires to confirm .
    I'm assuming you have the solid core plug wires,the plug boot has a small threaded spike,that threads into the center on the plug wire.
    Take that apart,trim the end of the wire-until you see fresh /clean copper. 1/4 inch usually is enough.

Are you asking about the 99 coil on e-bay right now? If so ,that is the for the original'style ignition. If that looks like your coil-than Yes it will work.

Thanx to both of you. My boot is an NGK. Its held on by a cable tie. In order to cut and reconnect do I strip the casing off the wire? And then just pop it back in the boot?

I wanna start with easy cheap steps before I put more money into this money pit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompys0716 View Post
    Thanx to both of you. My boot is an NGK. Its held on by a cable tie. In order to cut and reconnect do I strip the casing off the wire? And then just pop it back in the boot?

I wanna start with easy cheap steps before I put more money into this money pit.
    Does your coil and plug boot look like this ?
    If so, than cut the zip tie,unthread the boot while pulling gently.Cut 1/8-1/4 inch of the wire off,it has a solid core copper wire,you should see fresh/shinny copper. Than thread the boot onto the wire,there is a small threaded spike in the boot,you will feel it get tight. Put a new zip-tie on it.

Hey k447
    where can I purchase an update kit?

Thread Information