Trouble with 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc - Help Required

I have a 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc fuel-injected bike and need some help.

At the end of last summer we took the bike out to winterize it. We sprayed fogging oil in the intake to fog the bike out. Now, when we went to start the bike, it turned over but was running really bad.

The bike was running really rough and not smooth at all. I was wondering if we made a mistake using fogging spray on a fuel-injection craft?

I took the spark plugs out and they were all gunked up with crap, so we cleaned them and put them back in. The bike did that same thing however. Should I try replacing the sparkplugs (NGK PZFR6H) or do you think the problem is somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fogging oil is not a problem with the fuel injected engine.

Replace the spark plugs, just to be sure they are not the problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayapete View Post
    I have a 2001 Polaris Genesis 1200cc fuel-injected bike and need some help.

At the end of last summer we took the bike out to winterize it. We sprayed fogging oil in the intake to fog the bike out. Now, when we went to start the bike, it turned over but was running really bad.

The bike was running really rough and not smooth at all. I was wondering if we made a mistake using fogging spray on a fuel-injection craft?

I took the spark plugs out and they were all gunked up with crap, so we cleaned them and put them back in. The bike did that same thing however. Should I try replacing the sparkplugs (NGK PZFR6H) or do you think the problem is somewhere else?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    How long did it run and how much smoke was pouring out the exhaust?
    Maybe take the time to verify compression?

Thanks guys. Already ordered replacement plugs and awaiting for them to arrive.

@ph2ocraft - I only ran it for about 10 seconds and shut it down. Waited a few minutes and tried to fire it up again and it did the same thing and then shut it down after about 10 seconds once again.
    I was just reading some things, and thought that maybe I should fire the bike up without the plugs inserted, in order to blow some of the oil out of the engine. Is this something I should try or should I just try to verify compression like you said?

Thanks.

+1
    When you fogged the engine, the engine was running - correct?

How much fogging oil got sprayed into the engine?

If it is starting and running, then there is probably not so much oil inside that it would be pumping out the spark plug holes.

Of course, when you are ready to check compression, all spark plugs will be out anyways, so crank it over before you hook up the compression gauge. If it is spraying heavy mist or liquids out, that is too much.

Compression check; all spark plugs out, throttle pinned wide open.
    All cylinders should be within 5% of each other, highest to lowest.

Yes I fogged it while the engine was running. I only sprayed for a couple of seconds, I don't believe I sprayed too much but it is possible.
    Thanks, I'll crank the engine over without the plugs before I hook up the gauge, and see how much (if any) oil sprays out. Then I'll go ahead and check compression. I am at work for the rest of the day so I will have to give this a try tomorrow. Thanks alot.

I also have one more problem with my other bike if you could please help me out.

I have a 1999 yamaha waverunner gp 800cc.
    I bought it last year and it had a problem starting on its own. It would start right up when being jumped by a jumpbox, but can't start up by itself. I've tried replacing the battery and it didn't change anything.
    It also ran a little rough and the rpm's would often fluctuate and slightly jerk the bike even when you kept the throttle at a steady position. It feels as if the bike can not get up to the speed or rpm's that it is capable of.

Well, when I went to start the yamaha 2 days ago, I jumped the battery and it started right up and ran exactly like it did at the end of last season. I shut the bike down and everything seemed to be the same since last year. However, when I tried to start the engine again, I just got a clunk sound and nothing happens, even when using a jumpbox on the battery. It seems as if the engine has seized but I had ran the bike perfectly fine about 40 minutes prior to testing it again. Could the engine actually have seized even though it had started earlier that day?

Thanks for all your help, havn't been having much luck with my 2 bikes this year :/

+1
    You might get better answers in the Yamaha General Discussion forum.

I would suspect one or more of the following;
    Heavy cable connections at battery, solenoid, starter, or engine block (Corrosion)
    Starter solenoid
    Starter motor
    Poor electrical system grounding or other problems with wiring

Regarding poor engine running and surging;
    Fuel system dirty, clogged, air leaks, old hoses
    Carburetor clogs (internal gunk)
    Carburetor jetting or adjustments
    Fuel pump weak

Other possibilities;
    Ignition system problems
    Wrong spark plugs
    Bad spark plug wires or caps
    Low cylinder compression

thanks alot.

just posted a thread in the yamaha section. I suspected some of the things you mentioned were the problem but don't know which one for sure. I'm gonna start trying some of the things you listed and hopefully get this thing going again. Thanks again.

Thread Information