96 spx carb trouble

just bought 96 spx cranks and runs but when u press the throttle it dies the guy i got it from had the carbs partially dismanteled put throttle cable back on and it starts but des when u pull the throttleany ideas

Smile

First off change out the old grey fuel lines,then pull fuel filter,on off petcock,and clean the green black gunk that will be plugging them up,also remove carbs ,clean ,including all the fuel inlets where fuel goes in (where the fuel hose connects to carb)also where second carb fuel inlet ,then clean the pencil erasert sized fuel filters inside each carb.If you clean and rebuild carbs and leave old grey fuel line ,you will be cleaning them again very shortly.On seadoos the main jet should be closed completely,and low speed about 1 to 11/2 turns out>Marvin

all new fuel lne he also disconnected the oil tank and lines all the throttle cables and hose areofff of it and i really need a diagram so i c see how it all suppose to go back there a small cable on the throtle have no idea wherre that goes

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcm View Post
    just bought 96 spx cranks and runs but when u press the throttle it dies the guy i got it from had the carbs partially dismanteled put throttle cable back on and it starts but des when u pull the throttleany ideas
    Could be a lot of things but the first which comes to mind is the Carbs. are not set up correctly and/or the Pop-Off pressure is too low.

need a diagram ofhowit goes or need a new st ready to bolt on

The Mikuni Carb. manual shows all that and more---Google it. + PM message sent for Carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcm View Post
    need a diagram ofhowit goes or need a new st ready to bolt on
    Small Cable is probably the Oil Pump Actuator Cable and it isn't used if the Oil Pump is removed by the previous owner.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=34&B=9

ITEM #47

So he set you up for Oil/Gas 40:1 pre-mix ? Really not a good way to start....

If the Oil Tank is also removed I hope he retained the Lg. Oil Line between the R and L sides of the engine since that should be 90% full to provide an Oil Bath to the Rotary Valve Gears.
    Don't run it w/o an Oil Bath.... It *will* kill your engine...

What engine do you have ?

The '96 SPX came with the 717 and 587 engines.
    Engine Type is found on the Black s/n Plate on top of the Magneto Cover.

Different Carbs. and mounting on both.

Check these links to verify:

717 Carb. Set >>> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=34&B=21

587 Carb. >>> http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=34&B=20

they are the 717 and yes i ran the oil line for the premix when i had them on it will start and as soon as u pull the throttle it dies cant figure that 1 out on my own so if u had or heard of this throw me a bone

Thread Information