Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

broken supercharger bolt

Tried to remove the supercharger to send to Jerry since my RXT has 96 hours now, but in the process one of the bolts broke. I thought I could still slide it out after removing the other 2 but somehow, the broken bolt still has a grip on the supercharger case. I'm guessing that's the only one threaded on both sides. The one facing forward next to the exhaust came out and the one below also came out with a ratchet. The one closest to the centerline of the engine is the one that broke. I can clearly see with a mirror it broke inside the bore. No matter how hard I pulled on the supercharger it wouldn't move. Even tried to drive a wood wedge between the engine block and the supercharger with no luck. If anyone has ever seen this shiot before feel free to give me some tips. Otherwise I can't get the supercharger serviced by Jerry (or anyone for that matter). Thanks.

My RXT did the exact same thing... I ended up having to take a dremel and 3 cutting wheels to cut the sleeve out around the bolt. If you have some space between the charger and the bolt sleeve then you can insert a small hack saw and cut the bolt off. I had a small amount of space and I was able to do that after I dremeled away for an hour. There aren't many options since it is in such a tight place. I now have 2 bolts holding my SC and it seems to be holding very well. Goodluck with yours.

I forgot to mention the reason that you can not get the SC loose is because the single bolt that is broken is coated in red locktite. Cut the bolt, spray some PB Blaster in between the SC and engine. Let it soak in and use a 4 foot pry bar and carefully place between the SC and the engine and use a little pressure to release the charger. Twist it and then put more pressure and twist it back and forth. It will eventually come off. Putting it back on is MUCH easier.

+1
    The locktite will make it that hard to slide the SC over the what's left of the bolt? I pulled on this thing so hard the hole trailer was bouncing up and down and even used a wood wedge and hit as hard as I could. It wouldn't move. I'm very frustrated at the moment.

Wood will crush before applying the needed force to pry the two apart.

Can you get a small pry bar down there?

I checked an old sc housing...front and rear...no threads....just old loctite.

+1
    I can put a pry bar in but I'm afraid to break the SC housing or crack that the thin metal on the block side. I tried to pull with moderate force on the prybar but wouldn't move.

I use a short crow bar on mine all the time...I can get the sc to move out a bit...then leverage fails...I place it on top between the block and the rear case...it doesn't take much to to make it move.

Did the bolt break inside the case?...if not, a small area may be bent catching the housing.

Be careful using a prybar as you will be pressuring the pto housing and not the engine block. Been down this path before with another ski and ended up cutting off the S/C casting that surrounded the bolt,..a PITA!!

Cheers

Chris.

+1
    tried prying and beating...won't come off. Cutting off the entire ear and ordering a new supercharger is my only option? This is assuming I can get the old bolt out then? Many thanks for the replies so far.

Edit:

tried grinding a bit of the bolt hoping there was some material bent and catching the SC housing. Nothing....no luck. I'm starting to dislike Seadoo about right now.
    Last edited by eb87; 05-16-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information