Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GP1200R Cylinder Problem

I was out today just runnin around on Lake Michigan and it was like glass. I met my dad at my Grandpas house and so I beached it. After I sat for a bit I decided to go out again so I pulled it off the sand. When I got on it was a bit too shallow and the bottom of the hull hit the bottom on the lake so I pushed it out a bit further. When I was clear I got on again and and went for a ride. About 1 minute in I did some sharper turns, turned around and went to pick up speed again and it bogged down so I let off. Going back in I could only go about 5 mph otherwise it felt like it would shut off. My dad took it out to see what it was and after playing around for a bout a minute he was able to get on it some more without it dieing but full throttle was 44 mph. The tiny tach also did not read anything. I pulled the spark plugs just to see if it was the spark plugs that went bad, #2 and 3 were fine, but #1 was dripping with water, not a lot but there was drips of water coming from it. After I cleaned off the spark plugs I put it in the water again just to see if that had fixed it, but same thing. So we get back home, make a few calls and Vern and I basically figure out that there is something wrong with the front cylinder. The tiny tach was wrapped around the front spark plug red wire thing so I moved it to the second spark plug and was able to get a reading. I took off the first spark plug but kept the red wire attached to it and touched it to the hole and turned the engine over to see if there was a spark and I saw a spark (but not a big spark). The spark plug also looked like it normally does (after I pulled it the first time I cleaned it off). Oh yea...when I took it out after I cleaned the spark plugs I took it easy and only went up to 25 mph and I heard a "popping" sound, not loud but just not a normal sound. Sorry for basically posting my life story, I just didn't wanna leave any details out

+1

GPR Plug wire?

After talking with Phil, I think it is possibly a bad/failed plug wire. Since the Tiny Tach quit reading at the same time as the ski started running poorly, and the spark plug has gas on it, it sounds like an electrical/spark failure. When he switched the Tiny Tach to the middle cylinder, it read again, and the other spark plugs looked normal, whereas the front cylinder was wet with gas.

Would a failed spark plug cause the Tiny Tach to quit reading? Has anybody else had a spark plug wire fail on a GPR? Any better choices than paying the long price for a Yamaha spark plug wire if one is needed?

+1
    Lots of used eboxes and parts out there I would just ask, a lot of people also go with aftermarket plug wires do a search there are a few threads on this.

+1
    Could easily have a coil going out too.

+1
    True ... I saw some good threads on plug wires, will try that first, but also noticed some guys run Sea Doo coils on their GPRs. If the plug wires do not fix it, coil is likely it ... any price or performance reason to run a S-D coil, or just put in another GPR coil?

Forgot to ask one more question ... I have never pulled the plug wire off the electrical box ... what does that terminal end look like? Is it just like a normal car terminal that plugs into the coil, or?
    Last edited by Vern; 05-17-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added

so what exactly am I looking for at the Autozone or w/e. Just a basic plug wire? Or does it have to fit the spark plugs the GPR uses.

+1
    Hoping for a little more input too ... the cover has to come off the electrical box, unscrew the plug wire caps going into the box, then disconnect the wire from the coil. You want wires that are long enough, have straight caps off the coil and 90 degree spark plug terminals, so we have to basically look at the wires at the auto store to get the right ones that will work.

could I just take one of the wires off and take it in to Autozone and have them find something? I looked on their website and I found a few that look similar made by MSD but there all for 8 cylinders, im assuming I could just use 3 of them though...

+1
    I think so ... just remove the electrical box cover and the spark plug wire and get a set that has the right ends and is long enough. Sets for a V6 should have the length IF the end terminals are right on both ends. They will only sell them in sets, but for $20 - $25 you can get a whole set rather than $75 for ONE from Yamaha ...

I was about to take off the wires but my dad said lets just buy new spark plugs first since its cheaper. I took them out and the #1 plug bottom gap thing was completely shut. I put in a new one and wrapped the tiny tach wire around just the first plug wire and I got a reading from it I am assuming, and praying, that this was the problem? Either way I guess I would like to know how it would have closed, and it still doesnt explain the water. When my dad went to get the new plugs he said that the guy at autozone said it could close because of unused fuel in the cylinder and then creating too much of an "explosion"?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information