Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

X4 Taking on water

I took my out 96 XP800 after for the first ride of the year. When I turn right I can see water pouring in from the holes in the styrofoam where the sponsons are. I did change the sponsons this winter but do not believe the water is coming in through there. I had it in and out of the water sealing the bolts and even putting a bead of silicone around the mounting plate of the sponson. Im stumped and looking for ideas or hopefully someone has seen this before? All the simple things have been checked. Any help and advise is appreciated

+1
    wow, thats weird. has that ski been sunk or flooded with water? water logged maybe? check to make sure your intake grate bolts are there. also look at your thru hull around the driveshaft for damage

The previous owner sunk the machine but I did not have this problem last year. I have been riding without the seat on it and there is no water coming in from the thru-hull. I did have the pump out this winter and am thinking that possibly I didnt get it sealed good enough, but cant see it!. Im almost out of answers...

+1
    What I mean is that there are two hulls in an x4. Inner and outer. If you sucked something up, it could have cracked the threw hull between the two allowing water in. Although there shouldbe no way for the water to exit to where you can see it. Unless you opened something when you installed the new sponsons. I.e. Drilled new holes or something. It doesn't hurt to take a look. But there is no way the pump or rideplate could let water into the hull.

Nothing has been opened up and no holes drilled. Im ready to take out all of the foam and the suction cups and ride it till I cant see it anymore. GRR

you can always try filling the hull with water and see where it comes out. Not sure where your electronics are but don't put those in water. You can lift the front and tilt it to get the water to one side and see where it comes out.

Or you can just put it in the water and stand next to it with your head and a light in the hull looking. You dont have to ride. If you have to ride to see watering coming in, it is most likely from your engine or broken hose obviously...

gl
    dean

I was going to try that this weekend. It doesnt take on water when sitting. I find it weird that the water is coming from the sponson holes on the side thats what makes me think the hoses are good. Cant see them leaking either!

have you tried running it on the hose?

You have to start eliminating possibility with different situations.

I had the same problem and I couldn't find it. went to the lake like 5 times and redid sponsons ect ect. Started eliminating causes, and found the exhaust had a hole in it pouring water into the hull.

It may look like it is coming from the sponson holes (and it may be) but when you are on plane the water gets pushed to the back so it could be something in the front also just running down the side and coming out sponson holes.

from my experience the sponson holes are so tight that water will not "gush" into the hull unless you have a hole.

1. If it doesnt fill up on land with the hose connected its not the engine or hoses.

2. if it doesnt fill up just sitting in water it is prob not a leak.

So really you have the pump left.

Just my thoughts....

dean

- my guess is you will find the problem on the hose...

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I wonder if he has a hole in his waterbox

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I wonder if he has a hole in his waterbox

Thats kinda my thought but he didnt say if the water was on the right or left side or did I miss it? All I seen is when he makes a right turn water comes in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information