Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

It seems nobody cares about tigersharks..

Anyway.

I need to "UN GLUE" the rear prop housing from the shell so I can weld a crack up and clean out the gunk in the body. I have every tool imaginable at hand. I'm bringing a heat gun, a pry bar, and possibly some wedges to the party in order to jam up in there to slowly work it out.

Does that sound sufficient?

IF no one here answers I'll repost in a different section.

Thanks guys!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wayneosan View Post
    Anyway.

I need to "UN GLUE" the rear prop housing from the shell so I can weld a crack up and clean out the gunk in the body. I have every tool imaginable at hand. I'm bringing a heat gun, a pry bar, and possibly some wedges to the party in order to jam up in there to slowly work it out.

Thanks guys!
    Wayne
    I almost bought a tigershark once. At the time, it seemed like a good ski. I think it said suzuki on the motor. Good luck, I know nothing about these skis.

Anyway.

Thanks guys!
    Wayne
    Yes that should work. Most of the time it is a pain to get off sealed pumps that have been on there for years but it can be done. If its really stuck on there make yourself a pump puller. Place a 2x4 across the back of the hull after you take the turn nozzle off. Drill two holes in the 2x4 and put to long bolts through then and thread them into the bolts the nozzle screwed into. Keep turning the bolts till the pump pops off.

Banned User
    Id say dont take the steering nozzle off, keep it on so you have something to grab on to. Sit on your ass, put your feet up against the rear of the boat and start pulling, keep the pressure on it and you will hear the sealant as its letting go, just try not to fall back when it finally lets go! Oh! the one thing that used to get me (on the seadoos) was when Id forget to unhook a hose from the inside!!

+1
    wait a sec, greenhulk has a tigershark section?

progress..............

Got the thing off. I brought my heat gun and prybar home. The wood trick works. It looks like the previous owner tried to get it off too at one time and broke an entire corner off. I'll take it to work and weld that up and it should be good. I had to jump up and down on it a few times once it got close.

Look how freakin nasty that is!! Do people just not care? I've seen more than one of these like this. (sorry I'm still new to this part of the world)

The other toy runs. 550wheel on pump. It's fun. I bought this ski because I wanted to see what they are like working on them. I think i'm hooked.

I tune cars with various computers including Motec etc so, now I'm going to be on the lookout for a "HULL." to put a Motec and turbo package into.

I'll get this one running and let the wife have it; then I can put a BIG motor in mine!

I need to learn more about hull design though. What about speed and stability? Why are the fast ones so big? Is that important? What else do people do for stability?

What about impellers and housings? I would think to go faster someone would have invented variable pitch impellers and variable volume housings?

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I'll be posting updates. I also wet sanded the hood again, but she'll need some more work before paint. No pics of that yet.

Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nasty ex owner crud.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	188706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nasty ex owner crud 2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	188707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other project  that runs.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	188708  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ...I'm going to be on the lookout for a "HULL." to put a Motec and turbo package into.

...I need to learn more about hull design though. What about speed and stability?
    Why are the fast ones so big? Is that important?
    What else do people do for stability?

What about impellers and housings?
    I would think to go faster someone would have invented variable pitch impellers and variable volume housings...
    Among the orphan PWC brands, Tigershark does get less love than Polaris. Just seems to be the way it is.

Big power and speed make the hull the most important aspect. Hulls have a complex hydro-dynamic interaction with the water. Hull designs have improved over the years, so the older hull designs are often poor candidates for big power boosts.

Early PWC hulls had much less stock power, so the designers didn't have to worry much about what happened at really high speeds.

When aftermarket and tuners boosted the power, some hulls reacted well, other hulls became very dangerous, with snaky handling characteristics that would give pause to experienced racers.

Even today, some of the top rated high end hulls have handling issues when pushed beyond stock speeds. Some hulls even have issues with completely stock engines at top speed.

Other hulls can handle extreme increases in top speed and power, but often only with very careful and well practiced modification/tuning of the hull and jet pump.

Have a look in the Conversion Skis forum for lots of interesting reading. The fastest hulls out there are often Yamaha GPR hulls with SeaDoo 4-Tec or Yamaha four stroke engines.

The top tuners all say that the first place to look for speed is in the hull. Pouring lots of power into a poorly tuned hull is not the correct recipe.

Get the right hull, tune it right, and THEN look at the engine power aspect.

With the high power the top engines are now producing, it is all the impeller can do to hang on to the water. The impeller can actually rip the water apart inside the jet pump, causing high intensity vacuum bubbles (called cavitation) that literally burn and eat away the metal of the impeller and jet pump.

Getting the jet pump to run effectively despite all the power being applied is a current focus of the conversion and high end tuners.

Some are now using the current SeaDoo jet pump, even in non-SeaDoo hulls, as the preferred jet pump.

good to hear you got it off. What 4 stroke motor are you looking into swaping in? Are you looking for one that is already know how to make fast or are you looking to build one up and tune it yourself. If your interested in the honda motors I know a bunch of those guys are in need of go fast parts and if you came up with a new ECU for one they would more then likely jump all over it.

yup I'm in on new stuff.

I'm down for looking into stuff people need. I've been doing that for a long time.

Point me to a link where the discussions are.

I'm reading every chance I get on the conversion ski's side of things.

That was a pretty good explanation regarding the hull. I'm very familiar with the cavitation issue. I'll keep reading.

Does anyone have local "meets" like car people do?

wp

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information