I got a 2004 STX 15F with 49hrs only, always:
    syntetic oil
    premium gas
    injector cleaner in gas tank
    Intake Grate clean (nothing stuck)
    Impeller gap looks normal to me.
    Brand new spark plugs

These are the symptoms:
    I start the machine first time and idleīs normal 1300rpm, I apply WOT and accelerates normal (good) up to 6000 rpms 1 bar (47mph gps)and no more than that, sometimes you feel some jerking like machine trying to accelerate a little more but thats it.
    If I totally release throttle from WOT the machine just die (doesnīt idle).
    When I try to Re-start machine I do need to apply some throttle and I canīt release it, if I donīt apply some throttle machine never starts.
    Once I re-start If I apply WOT machine accelerates slow (like something stuck in the intake grate) only reaches 4krpm and gradually gets a little better acceleration til 6krpm (47mph).
    If I gradually release throttle from WOT until idle machine sometimes still runs between 800-1300rpms (not stable) really rough.

After a 20min break time sometimes machine starts normal, idles normal and accelerates normal up to 6krpm, but If I slow down and then aply WOT machine just accelerate slow until 6krpm

Think is when I start machine and idles normal also accelerates normal (this happens first start and after some break times).
    When I start machine aplying some throttle the machine iddle between 800-1300rpms ( rough) also machine accelerates slow at WOT (like is there is something in the Intake Grate, only 4krpm, gradually accelerates until 6k).

I tough my problems were my spark plugs (fouled), so I changed them and problem is still there, Iīm only getting 6000rpm 1 bar.

There are no codes in the system, no warning alarm, and I think this model (2004) doesnīt have SLO mode.

Please help! There are some guys with seadoo gtx and xlt1200 in my area and they leave me far away, I need my power back just to show them!!!

Thanks in advance, I really apreciated your Help!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    check the pump bearings and the compression

Sean

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Theres an adjustment on the throttle cable,at the throttle body end, check it out.....................

+1
    +1 smokey, I believe it does have a slow mode on it but mine started dropping speed and thinking it was the impeller changed it out. come to find out the pump was going out. Never had the idle problem though
    One thing , when it is running , do you feel any viberation either crusing or on acceleration?? That could be a sign of a pump bearing.
    Last edited by STX-15FER; 05-17-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: a second thought

Hi, according to service manual my ski doesnīt have SLO mode option, only from 2005 15f until now.

There is no vibration between acceleration or cruising speed, Itīs wear because first start accelerate great only up to 6k, but if I slow down and try WOT again the problem shows up.

2 weeks ago I check impeller clearance and looks normal, also the bearing was dyr (no water only grease)

Could be injectors or coils? any sensor? Or the most common the pump?
    There are no codes in the MultiFunction Meter. Let me find my compression tester and I do a compression test.

Keep coming ideas please

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    check the fuel filter and fuel pressure, should be at around 43. I doubt its the coils but it will be easy to check, just pull one and see if there is spark when you crank the motor.

Sean

Ok, Iīm going to check fuel filter and fuel pressure, service manual says "The fuel filter is designed to be used throughout the
    watercraft’s life without any maintenance if it is used
    under normal conditions"

I hope in this case manual just get wrong (it happens).

Any other ideas?

"Just having spark" is not a totally valid test. Coils can be weak or break down under load or heat. Check service manual for resistance readings.

David

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    check the fuel filter and fuel pressure, should be at around 43. I doubt its the coils but it will be easy to check, just pull one and see if there is spark when you crank the motor.

Sean

Ok, I already check these things:

Oil level normal
    throttle cable adjustment ok
    air filter has no leaks, I cleaned it.
    Fuel filter is in good condition.
    Fuel tank air vent ok
    I checked TPS and itīs ok according to the manual readings, It shows 1.157ohms, manual says between 1.08-1.8ohms
    I cleaned the throttle body
    Air suction valve ok according to the manual
    Fuel pump screen checked, itīs normal, not too much dirty, most of all is clean, only have 49hrs.

I did put everything in place and then started the ski out of the water, starts ok, apply throttle and it gets 7500rpm then I shutted off, the thing is I need to test it in the water.

Next step: test the ski if the problem is still there.
    After that If problem persist check coils and (still searching my compression tester)check compression.

Do you think could be the pump? Or is definitely some engine problem?

Thanks in advance!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin1907 View Post
    Ok, I already check these things:

Oil level normal
    throttle cable adjustment ok
    air filter has no leaks, I cleaned it.
    Fuel filter is in good condition.
    Fuel tank air vent ok
    I checked TPS and itīs ok according to the manual readings, It shows 1.157ohms, manual says between 1.08-1.8ohms
    I cleaned the throttle body
    Air suction valve ok according to the manual
    Fuel pump screen checked, itīs normal, not too much dirty, most of all is clean, only have 49hrs.

I did put everything in place and then started the ski out of the water, starts ok, apply throttle and it gets 7500rpm then I shutted off, the thing is I need to test it in the water.

Next step: test the ski if the problem is still there.
    After that If problem persist check coils and (still searching my compression tester)check compression.

Do you think could be the pump? Or is definitely some engine problem?

Thanks in advance!
    does it still have a STOCK prop
    has anybody replaced it with a stupid bend trying to get speed
    and the engine just cant turn it when its in the water ??
    has it always had the prob since you owned it ?

just a thought

Waz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information