Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st time riding my new 09 rxt-is review

Here is my 1st review of my new jet ski. 255hp rxt-is. I've had an old seadoo 96 gsx which was pretty fun, but always gives me problem fixing more than playing. Anyhow i was in the water today for my new ski and let me tell u this ski handles great in water. U won't get wet at all playing the jet ski. Not even your feet will get wet. I try to do all the fancy corners and stuff and u won't get wet. The only time u get wet is if u are going very fast and u hard brake. Otherwise is really good. The holeshot was pretty good. Is pretty fast once it picks up speed. I wouldn't say it was like wow in the beginning but is still not slow. I haven't riden other 1's so i can't tell u except the 2 that i have. Today it didn't have much waves so i couldn't test out the chop in the water and the water is too cold. I live in Canada so the weather is always bad. I'm still breaking in my engine and we had 3 ppl on it and we had it at 62mph no problem. I know it will go faster but didn't want to try because we didn't wear safety glasses and the wind was blowing our faces off. If u want a stable jet ski and don't want to fall off the water then this is the ski for u. Is rides so comfortable. The only bad thing about this ski is that u have to hold on tight because of the speed. Then after your back starts to hurt if u are not used to it.
    The 1st time i was on it, it feels kind of werid with this is suspension. Because the seat and the hull are separate it always feels so unstable when u are going like 15mph in slow speeds and i dunno why. Haven't figure that out yet since 1st time on it. What i don't understand is that it feels unstable, but when u corner it feels so stable and u can never fall off. Someone should tell me why? I think this thing will do like 68-69mph if u hold on the full throttle. When i finish breaking in my engine i will try it and let u guys know. Other than that the ski feels awesome. Fastest thing ever rode in my life. Any other things u guys want to know u can ask me and i will try to answer it because i am new to this machine also.

Glad you enjoyed it. I just took my first ride on my GTX, and had a sore back and neck due to the speed/power as well!! Oh well, if that is the price we have to pay for fun!!!

+1
    I think you feel unstable at low speeds because the ski is higher off the water than regular skis due to the suspension. If you wanna feel more stable i suggest that you lower the supension as low as possible when at lower speeds and just adjust to your comfortable setting as you get used to it. I agree that the ski handles the corner very well at very high speeds than other ski's i have ridden, must because of the S3 hull.

I know the lower u go the better cornering u will get and u will feel more stable. Just like a car with lowering springs. Even i set it low i still feel unstable at random times. Well let me try it again next time. Maybe it was just me not used to it. This seadoo does sit higher than regular ski's because the seat and the hull are separate.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I have a 2010 260iS and it does feel a little squirrely at lower speeds. In part because of the suspension height, but also because of the v hull. I used to own a Fountain powerboat and the iS acts just like the Fountain at lower speeds...It hates it! But then again, I see elements in the S3 hull that are present in those offshore boats.

When the water is calm, I lower my suspension all the way. Makes a big difference. I ran mine in nasty water yesterday and the suspension system did the trick. I saw 20 foot boats that had trouble in that water.

Good luck with the ski!

So when do we ever need to raise up the suspension? Isn't raising it lower much better than higher because u can corner better and it feels more stable. So on a choppy water or when u hit the waves u set the suspension to high or low? So when do we set the suspension to high then? I was just curious.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    When the water gets rougher, I'll raise it all the way. Helps a lot.

thanx. I will try that. So when the water gets rough. How about the VTS? I normally bring the vts up because i like the feeling of the nose up. It seems like i am doing a wheelie. So the VTS down all the way makes the ski faster in acceleration? Sorry i am so new to this stuff.

I find it very top heavy at low speeds, especially with someone on the back. Actually both fell off once when we tried talking. Have not had the same problems when alone. I am upset that it does not go into dock mode more often. This mode is supposed to kick in when you are idling after a high speed run. However, it usually does not, even when you are in slow speed cruise control.

Lake Havasu is fairly rough, but I leave the suspension alone even when on the river. Even at full drop, there is still some bounce in the deck. Yesterday we had 20-30 mph winds. Choppy 2 foot waves. Ball busters at low speeds (I only stand when absolutely necessary) but at 45 mph you could ride across the top of them. When I came back out of the river, the waves had increased. While I could ride across the top of them, a couple of big waves in series caused some big shocks.

A week ago the wind was 40-60 gusts. The waves were 4-6 feet. The waves were close together though, so probably different than the ocean. But every wave doused me with 71 degree water. Which the wind tried evaporate before the next blast. If I had had a wetsuit I might not have come in. But was a lot of fun, and good to know I can handle it if I'm ever caught somewhere in a storm. Could only manage 18-20, and even less going in to the wind. But fun just to ride up and down the waves.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rxpx2008 View Post
    So the VTS down all the way makes the ski faster in acceleration? Sorry i am so new to this stuff.
    As far as I know the VTS down makes your turning better. ( someone please correct me if I am wrong.) For Acceleration I ussually like it 1 setting higher than the middle. IF you want to feel like doing the wheelie or making the front of your ski feel like running through the waves then set it all the way up. You have 2 presets on the ski by preprogramming them. double tap up or double tap down on your VTS. I have mine set to all the way down (double tap down button) when cornering and switch back to acceleration by double tapping up after the turn. Play around with the setting that works for you. Hope this info helps you a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information