Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just had my first ride on my new GTX

Took it out on Sunday for 1/2 hour (very busy weekend, just glad to have it out at all). My previous unit was a 1997 Yamaha 760. My first thought when I got on was - this thing is big!!! I was pretty nervous for the first few minutes, then as I got comfortable, I realized I had gone from a Hyundai to a Cadillac. It is so solid going through waves/white caps. And the power - my neck and back are sore today from hanging on!!! The couple of times that I hammered on it from a stopped position, it feels like it is going to jump right out of the water!!! Can't wait till next weekend....

Congrats on the new ride. Take it easy on her thru the break in period. I'll be a whole different ride once this period is over. Enjoy and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. Take it easy on her thru the break in period. I'll be a whole different ride once this period is over. Enjoy and be safe.

Thanks Blue Thunder. Define "take it easy". I tried to concentrate on varying my RPM's, and never went WOT at all. Any other advice?

Quote Originally Posted by gutter View Post
    Thanks Blue Thunder. Define "take it easy". I tried to concentrate on varying my RPM's, and never went WOT at all. Any other advice?
    Your doing fine with what your doing as far as rpms. Get the tune up done after the breaking period. Check the manual I believe its after the first 10 hrs. If the manual does not have the info. Consult with the dealer. What year is it ?

It is an 09. 10 hours is the first service, and I will be doing that.

When you decide to start modding her give me a shout and I'll let you know whats going to give you more bang for the buck. Aside of my washers on my S/C going out on me I havent had a lick of problems with mine. You should have any S/C problems with yours as you have metal washers on it. Keep your oil level at the middle of the two marks on the dip stick any higher and your loosing some rpms. There are a couple of freebie mods that you could do that will help a little. In the how to section check how to bullet proof your ski and look for the freebie mods in the Search option.

Hey man, great machine!

I got my RXT IS at the end of last summer, and I was back at the dealer's for the 10 hour maintenance in about 5 days. They thought something was wrong with it when I brought it back to them so quickly!

Take it easy on her until the break-in period is over. I was told to give it WOT for a few seconds every once in awhile, but not too long, just to get the engine up in the higher RPMs and let the beast stretch its legs. I did it on very calm water though , like glass (down the river) and that thing felt like a magic carpet ride! Oh man, what a FELLING! So SMOOTH and just the back of the machine was on the water (intake). Everything else was in the air and it was REALLY like a Cadillac... Fast, powerful and smooth!

It takes a bit of getting used to... Even now, when I got it out of winter storage and put it in the garage, I'm STILL surprised at how huge this thing is, and everyone else says the same thing. I'm telling you, you sure get a lot of machine for the price.

Even at over 11 feet (11' 9" I believe is the RXT IS specifications), I find that the S3 hull cuts through the water like a KNIFE! I've been on only a few older machines, and even though they were much smaller, they seemed to just slide over the water. I love this one though...

One suggestion, if you want a smooth ride over choppy waters, raise the suspension. If you want better handling and cornering and playing around, lower the suspension. Mine is usually set to AUTO. I'm not sure how AUTO determines the setting... I really should read that manual before I get the machine on the water again.

Please keep us updated on your experiences. I love reading about how people use their Seadoos and I learn a lot from reading that and I know that it also helps a lot of the people watching these forums to make some valuable decisions regarding purchasing new Seadoos. Have fun and stay safe!

So far, I can best sum up my experience with my RXT IS as riding a Cadillac with Corvette handling... Or for the Europeans, like driving a Bentley with Ferrari handling!

What do you guys think about towing (tube, wakeboard) right off the bat? I've heard/read that it is OK, my dealer said that it will be fine.

+1

Thumbs up

I have an 04 GTX LTD. (185 h.p.) Do alot of hard core sking(avatar). I'm 225 lbs. 6'4". I ski on a Connelly F1X with Vision bindings. Pulls me out of the water (with spotter on the back of ski) No problem at all.. Ski at 36 mph. at 32 to 39 1/2 off. I slow the ski down maybe 1 mph. on a hard cut.
    Sooooo....... Wake boarding or tubing... not a problem at all!

Cheers
    Bill

Thanks guys. I'm more concerned about pulling a tube, etc. during the break in period is there any issue with this?

Also, I have a question on the reverse - if I put the unit in reverse while moving forward, and then pull the throttle, will this essentially act like the breaking system on the iS models????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information