Ain't nothing like a good PEEP Show!!!!! wertz6's Avatar

Lightbulb GP1300R Fixit Question

I need some guidance. I took my ride plate off yesterday so that I could get the impeller out for some repairs. In the process I snapped one of the ride plate bolts that goes into the bottom of the hull. I tried to get it out everyway possible without drilling it. I do believe that this screw hole is not tappable so I didn't drill it out. How could I get this out and save the hole from damage so that I can put a new bolt in?
    Any Bright Ideas?

Thanks for the help guys,
    Jeff

What about just taking the bracket out from inside of the hull?

It's a bitch to get at. It's on the left side. The same side as all of the exhuast inside the back of the ski.

don`t waste anymore time...
    just order a new bracket and call it a day...

www.boats.net

+1
    That aluminum is pretty soft. If you cant get it out with an bolt extractor (never seems to work) then be careful not to damage the threads.

I would just order a new bracket and replace for peace of mind.

just went through this with my ski last weekend. after 75$ worth of easy outs from Sears and a couple hours dickin with it... I just ordered a new one from boats.net. 11$ plush shipping.... dont waste your time and energy on it...

+1
    Last year, I broke the bolt off into my FZS ride plate on friday of memorial day weekend. When you drop the plate are there any threads exposed of the broken bolt? I had about 5 threads showing.

I tried using vise grips on the bolt. They got a good grip but i was fighting the factory red loctite. That didn't work so i used a hacksaw blade and put a slot on the bolt to try use a screwdriver. The screwdriver bit broke.

So i went to drilling and using an extractor. Stainless is a bitch to drill. It's soft when cold. Hardens when drilling from the heat generated. Got the extractor in and bolt still didn't budge.

Last effort was to drill it completely out. From the pressure of the drill it eventually popped the epoxy free that holds the bracket to the hull. GAME OVER and no ski for the holiday weekend.

Called the dealer on tuesday. They had the bracket next day shipped ($16 shipping for $11 bracket) got it on wednesday. Took about 3 hours to take ski apart and install new bracket. Waited another 48 hours for the 3m 5200FC to cure. Ski was good to go on saturday.

If you have exposed threads you can try those 2 things i listed since you're not fighting the red loctite it may work for you. It's really not worth trying to drill and extract.

With the holiday weekend coming up. If i had to do it again. I would order the new bracket and just use the ski with 3 bolts in it for the weekend and deal with it on tuesday with plenty of time for it to be ready the next weekend.

Thanks everyone. I'm just going to order the new part and not mess with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Last year, I broke the bolt off into my FZS ride plate on friday of memorial day weekend. When you drop the plate are there any threads exposed of the broken bolt? I had about 5 threads showing.

I tried using vise grips on the bolt. They got a good grip but i was fighting the factory red loctite. That didn't work so i used a hacksaw blade and put a slot on the bolt to try use a screwdriver. The screwdriver bit broke.

So i went to drilling and using an extractor. Stainless is a bitch to drill. It's soft when cold. Hardens when drilling from the heat generated. Got the extractor in and bolt still didn't budge.

Last effort was to drill it completely out. From the pressure of the drill it eventually popped the epoxy free that holds the bracket to the hull. GAME OVER and no ski for the holiday weekend.

Called the dealer on tuesday. They had the bracket next day shipped ($16 shipping for $11 bracket) got it on wednesday. Took about 3 hours to take ski apart and install new bracket. Waited another 48 hours for the 3m 5200FC to cure. Ski was good to go on saturday.

If you have exposed threads you can try those 2 things i listed since you're not fighting the red loctite it may work for you. It's really not worth trying to drill and extract.

With the holiday weekend coming up. If i had to do it again. I would order the new bracket and just use the ski with 3 bolts in it for the weekend and deal with it on tuesday with plenty of time for it to be ready the next weekend.
    i like the way you tried to tackle it,but like Andy said the new bracket and patience will fix it quick.I've taken my rideplate out a few times for work, i've always used propane heat to remove and use only the blue locktite to put bolts back on.But a snapped bolt could happen to anyone, so far i've been lucky

Thread Information