Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CDI Box Wiring Diagram?

Hello all,

I've been going back and forth through these forums for months now and finally decided to set up an account. I recently took my 750 out to the lake and it promptly flooded. It had been running great up until then, but my fiance forgot to put in the drain plug. After about 5 minutes the ski was partly flooded and would not start. I took it home and cranked it over to get any water out of the cylinders and nothing happened. I also took out the carb bowl drain screws and found no water there.

I slept on it and then opened up the CDI box this morning to find a good inch and a half of water and nastiness. I have sense drained and dried the box, but have many, many wires that are disconnected. I'm trying to see if anyone might know where a wiring diagram for this is. I know it's color-coded, but this doesn't help much. For example, there are 6 posts for black wires, yet there are only 3 or 4 black wires.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

What took you so long to actually register?

It doesn't matter which terminal post in a color group each color of wire connects to. Any of the Black wires can connect to any of the Black terminals.

Same for the other wire colors. All Red/Purple wires connect to the Red/Purple terminal group, and so on.

If the terminal board is corroded, replace it with a good one.

Make sure the battery negative post is disconnected while you are working inside the electrical box. Only hook the battery up after everything else is good.

Also make sure the insulating plastic cover for the battery is in place. It is there for a reason. Do not let the metal shell of the electrical box short to the battery posts.

Tip: Replace those old-school drain plugs with a modern captive type marine drain plug.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!!
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Follow the color coded terminal board. There's more terminals than there's wires alot of times. It's a universal board, so not everyone is used.

Makes sure there's no corrosion on the back side of the board either.

And install the gasket O ring for the elec box. Obviously yours is missing or damaged because no water should penetrate the elec box

Thanks for the quick response. I ended up having so much corrosion that a few of the posts have actually broken off (i.e., I have no section for orange wires anymore). I think I'm going to head on over to ebay to sort it out. A new, sealed box seems much more enticing than fiddling with this one.

Is it difficult to disconnect the box and wires altogether?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhr05b View Post
    ...I'm going to head on over to eBay to sort it out. A new, sealed box seems much more enticing than fiddling with this one.

Is it difficult to disconnect the box and wires altogether?
    Don't forget about the Polaris Classifieds section on here

It can take some wiggling and choice words to get the rubber wiring seal for the magneto stator cable bundle worked loose from the electrical box shell.

It is doable, just don't let it get the better of you.

If you purchase waterproof electrical connectors, some guys have cut the stator wiring, then spliced in the connector between the electrical box and the existing magneto stator.

Look for WeatherPack or Deutsch connectors. You can find more info by searching on here.

WeatherPack (Packard) electrical connectors FAQ
    What they are, how to use them

Deutsch Connector Reference Guide

Deutsch Connector Technical Information
    Deutsch 507-DTSeriesManual2007 in PDF format

+1
    I have a terminal board for sale if you want to just replace that. $5 plus shipping.

I was able to clean it up, connect everything, and get it to start and run like it should. The bad news is that if I screw down all 6 bolts in the box, it will not work. If I back off each bolt a couple of turns, it works fine. I know something is grounding out, but I can't figure out where. Does that sound like an issue with the red/purple wires?

In its current state, with all six bolts screwed in tightly, the starter works fine but I get no spark. I guess I'm trying to figure out which wires sound like they're grounding out.

Thanks guys, y'all have been great!

+1
    Or internal pressure is allowing a ground connection to un-touch.

Make sure the screwed in grounds are good. LR module, coil pack, black wires between the two sides of the box.

Until you get the wiring 100% reliable, do not take it riding.

+1
    How about a pic of the elec box?

Saving the Manuals every day..
    Im trying to finish up this SLT 750 that I bought in peices, and I just fished the MAG harness back into the box. I circled my 4 question points in red: Two are the same black wire with bolt loops on them, one is a red/purple that already connects to the end board, and other other is a tab that looks like something goes on, but I cant figure out what.
    Anyone know what to do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information