+1

Exclamation Going Turbo, help needed

Hey all,

I am currently running an X charger and happy with my results but I got the speed bug and was thinking of upgrading my supercharger but decided to switch over to a custom turbo setup.

I have been reading up and have seen many projects come alive with great results, IE: Hydrojunkie and Engineermike. I am familiar with the setup and how it needs to be waterjacketed and such. I have a Stock J-pipe which I was thinking of modifying and routing that to the turbo.

I have the following questionsI will be adding more as I go)

- What is a good size turbo? I want minimal lag and tops want to be boosting 20 or so pounds.

- Where would I run the oil lines? I am aware the feeder comes from where the old supercharger was but where do I dump the oil back into the engine through? or is the even needed?

- Where do I place the old exhaust sensor? Does it need to be far back after the turbo so it doesn't go off since it will be hotter? Prefferably after the water jacketted pipe?

Anything else I should be aware of that is a PITA getting into this?

Any input will help, Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Hey all,

I am currently running an X charger and happy with my results but I got the speed bug and was thinking of upgrading my supercharger but decided to switch over to a custom turbo setup.

I have been reading up and have seen many projects come alive with great results, IE: Hydrojunkie and Engineermike. I am familiar with the setup and how it needs to be waterjacketed and such. I have a Stock J-pipe which I was thinking of modifying and routing that to the turbo.

I have the following questionsI will be adding more as I go)

- What is a good size turbo? I want minimal lag and tops want to be boosting 20 or so pounds.

- Where would I run the oil lines? I am aware the feeder comes from where the old supercharger was but where do I dump the oil back into the engine through? or is the even needed?

- Where do I place the old exhaust sensor? Does it need to be far back after the turbo so it doesn't go off since it will be hotter? Prefferably after the water jacketted pipe?

Anything else I should be aware of that is a PITA getting into this?

Any input will help, Thanks.
    Well first off good luck, It is a very big and indepth project that will cost allot to do well and reliably.

The oil is not feed from where the supercharger once was that is the return line and yes its most definatly needed.

Pretty sure you can run your oil from 1 of 2 places either remove the oil pressure sensor, fitt a T piece and run 1 side to the turbo and screw the press sensor back into the other part of the T piece. Or on the side of the cylinder head there is a small grub screw that can be removed Im sure that people have run it from there in the past.

The exhaust temp sensor just needs to be down stream of the turbo, after the point at which you inject water into the exhaust. Or dont fitt it into the exhaust but you have to have it plugged in coz boat wont run without it.

Im pretty sure that quite a few have run the Garrett GT2876R but its not just the turbo size that matters you have to take into consideration the A/R of both the exhaust and compressor housings as well as various other things that can differ with turbos and therefore have an effect on the way they run. Im no expert with turbos tho.

You are going to have LAG no matter what, unless you have a stand alone EMS that run runs antilag. But most will tell you that the mid range and topend with a turbo is just mental. R88

+1
    Send a PM to TURBO TECH PR (Malvin) and will set you right up.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by R88ory RXP View Post
    Well first off good luck, It is a very big and indepth project that will cost allot to do well and reliably.

The oil is not feed from where the supercharger once was that is the return line and yes its most definatly needed.

Pretty sure you can run your oil from 1 of 2 places either remove the oil pressure sensor, fitt a T piece and run 1 side to the turbo and screw the press sensor back into the other part of the T piece. Or on the side of the cylinder head there is a small grub screw that can be removed Im sure that people have run it from there in the past.

The exhaust temp sensor just needs to be down stream of the turbo, after the point at which you inject water into the exhaust. Or dont fitt it into the exhaust but you have to have it plugged in coz boat wont run without it.

Im pretty sure that quite a few have run the Garrett GT2876R but its not just the turbo size that matters you have to take into consideration the A/R of both the exhaust and compressor housings as well as various other things that can differ with turbos and therefore have an effect on the way they run. Im no expert with turbos tho.

You are going to have LAG no matter what, unless you have a stand alone EMS that run runs antilag. But most will tell you that the mid range and topend with a turbo is just mental. R88
    Thanks alot, Great info.

I'm trying to figure out how to waterjacket the pipe coming out of the turbo, looks like that's the tough cookie for everyone.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon1264 View Post
    Send a PM to TURBO TECH PR (Malvin) and will set you right up.....
    Thanks, I'll shoot him a PM.

+1
    i've never turbo'd a seadoo but almost everything im my garage is a forced induction setup... that being said i will soon be boosting my seadoo... here's a link to the bare basics. im sure you understand these but ...http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html
    here's turbo tech 102. this is very helpful when trying to figure out what size to run.
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html
    and once you understand that then fill your head with this one. this is all about compressor maps, flow rates, hybrid turbo and so forth none
    the less some great reading for a turbo junkie like myself! enjoy http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by b_dolla44 View Post
    i've never turbo'd a seadoo but almost everything im my garage is a forced induction setup... that being said i will soon be boosting my seadoo... here's a link to the bare basics. im sure you understand these but ...http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html
    here's turbo tech 102. this is very helpful when trying to figure out what size to run.
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html
    and once you understand that then fill your head with this one. this is all about compressor maps, flow rates, hybrid turbo and so forth none
    the less some great reading for a turbo junkie like myself! enjoy http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html
    Thank you! Great time killer for me bored at work. And great useful info!

+1
    start here, determine your HP goal then do the math to determine pressure ratio and airflow.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

saying 20psi doesnt give you an accurate goal because of boost efficiency of turbos are different. also because of flow (rpms) one turbo may be able to 20psi at 8000 rpm, but not 8800rpm.

fyi, just bought a gt2871 (400hp max), had a gt2560 (330hp) but I had very high egts,

good luck, enjoy the build.

ha, just realized someone posted the link already...oh well

and down pipes tend to be water injected, much easier to do.

+1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ctriverguy View Post
    start here, determine your HP goal then do the math to determine pressure ratio and airflow.

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

saying 20psi doesnt give you an accurate goal because of boost efficiency of turbos are different. also because of flow (rpms) one turbo may be able to 20psi at 8000 rpm, but not 8800rpm.

fyi, just bought a gt2871 (400hp max), had a gt2560 (330hp) but I had very high egts,

good luck, enjoy the build.

ha, just realized someone posted the link already...oh well

and down pipes tend to be water injected, much easier to do.
    hey man, I was looking at the gt2871, how does the lag compare from the gt2560? Why did you swith to the gt 2871?

-What injectors where you running?
    -what was the boost diff. Between the two turbos?
    -what a/r where the turbos?

I want to run a riva ecu possibly spinning 8550 rpms, and around 18-20 psi at most.

Thread Information