Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No Spark or To Lean?

I have a 96 1100 ZXi and now that I have the pop-off set correctly I am dialing in the mixture screws. I currently am running richer than stock with both hi/low turned 1 1/2 out. Now when I just pulled my plugs tonight after riding today I noticed cylinder 3 (PTO cylinder) the plugged looked pretty much brand new still. The other 2 plugs were brown as the should be and you could tell they have been used.

I took each wire off and looked for a spark but couldn't see one. Even on the wires that are suppose to have spark. Now this is the 2nd set of plugs I have used since breaking the motor in just because I was wanting to keep them new and use as a gauge. So I know it has browned before in the past. What bothers me is when I bought this last July it was this cylinder that had seized and broke when I got it. Since I have had the pop-off set this is what I am seeing, but I have not changed plugs since the pop-off was set to high. It has been using the same plugs. So does this sound like a bad intermittent spark, or a lean condition? They have browned before in the past during break-in and when I was trying to get the pop-off set right. I did notice today the idle was so low it barely stayed started and the idle was set perfect even after getting the pop-off set right. I also noticed today it smoked a lot more then normal. I run premix so I know it smokes, but it smoked today at idle more then normal. Almost like a lot. Does this sound like the cylinder is not firing?

Just went out and did a little test. I started it for 3 secs with all three wires on the plug and looked at the RPMs. Then grounding it on the grounding post for the cylinder I think was not firing and started it and no change in RPMs or the way it even sounded. I think this explains why the low idle now. I don't think that cylinder is firing. So where do I need to start looking into why this is occurring? This has apparently just started happening.

-Thanks

Ok well I went out and just did some more testing. I pulled the plug and attached the wire to see if it got spark when it started. It did, but it was weak. So I changed the plug with a different one. Still same story, weak spark. Another thing is the front two cylinders are warm when it runs for a couple of seconds. The back one with the weak or no spark is still cold.

Also it won't rev past 6K which is obvious why because it is only firing on 2 cylinders. I noticed this yesterday when I was out that is wasn't reving past 6 and my top speed was low. What was weird though is if I had it cracked to WOT and get up to 6K I would easy back off the throttle till it ran at 6K not at WOT then ease back into it to WOT and it will spark and rev well over 6K and take off to 60 on the dream-o-meter. Where before it wouldn't get past 50 @ 6K.

So it is weak spark. What would be the cause of this and what can I do to fix this. Is the coil going out?

-Thanks

You may need to trim the plug wires back a little then put the boot back on. The wires can break inside and couse this. You may also need to ohm out the coils to see if you got a bad one. Is your compression still ok?

Boots fit on good and snap all down snug so I think it is getting a good connection. Compression is good upper 120's on all three. Motor is brand new only been through 3 tanks. I was going to test the coils as soon as I find my air ratchet.

I was checking everything good earlier and even bought new plugs. I put the boot on the plug with it out out the head and it was getting spark. It was a good bluish white spark so not sure if it is strong or not. So it seems to be getting spark. Now this didn't start happening until I set the pop off correctly. I am running 40:1 premix and I know I am running rich on my mixture screws. Is it possible I could be running to rich? Shot in the dark but trying to feel out every cause.

Yesterday when I was out it would only get up to 6K and about 50 MPH @ WOT. If I eased out of the throttle a tad and hold it at 6K and then eased back in to WOT it would kick in to over 7K and up to 60. So not sure if it is a weak spark or running to rich or not rich enough. When it is cold and been sitting and I start it for about 5 seconds or so then shut it off. The front two cylinders are warm as suppose to be, but the back one is still cold so you know it is not firing. Strange this just happened after I set the pop-off.

Anyone?

to test a coil you can swap one known good one for the bad an see if that does it.

Is it possible that if a plug is fouled in the front cylinders it can effect the spark in others? I.E. 1 is fouled so 2 is weak but fires, and 3 is weaker and has intermittent spark.

How do I go about testing a coil? I have the box open and it looks brand new inside. No corrosion at all.

It is getting spark but it is weak on 3 and it doesn't kick in strong until over 6K. Could this be a coil going bad or something else?

-Thanks

your going to have to check it with an ohm meter,dont know how so maybe someone else will know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information