Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oil Spill

+1

The Oil Spill

The BP oil spill has everyone's attention! This is a disaster for soooo many people. I feel so very sorry for everyone who is affected along the Louisania, Alabama, Mississippi coast. Will this hit Florida? Only time will tell.

With all the F***ing money the oil companies have made over the years I would certainly hope that BP will exhaust every cent to fix this problem and compensate those losing money.

Maybe some are tired of hearing about this delima but I would like to hear other opinions on this.

Such a sad situation indeed.......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    The BP oil spill has everyone's attention! This is a disaster for soooo many people. I feel so very sorry for everyone who is affected along the Louisania, Alabama, Mississippi coast. Will this hit Florida? Only time will tell.

With all the F***ing money the oil companies have made over the years I would certainly hope that BP will exhaust every cent to fix this problem and compensate those losing money.

Maybe some are tired of hearing about this delima but I would like to hear other opinions on this.

Unfortunately its going to impact Florida. Its already getting picked up in the Gulf Stream which is going to drag it around 50% of our coastline.

I'm sure BP is doing everything possible. This affects everyone including them. Wouldn't be suprised if all the other oil companies jump in to help. This is a lifetime supply of ammo for all the treehuggers we will surely be riding around with battery operated trolling motors soon.

From what I've read its the deepest waters they have ever drilled in which is making it very hard to repair. Not even sure that they can.

Wether people are tired about it or not its going to affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Unfortunately its going to impact Florida. Its already getting picked up in the Gulf Stream which is going to drag it around 50% of our coastline.

I'm sure BP is doing everything possible. This affects everyone including them. Wouldn't be suprised if all the other oil companies jump in to help. This is a lifetime supply of ammo for all the treehuggers we will surely be riding around with battery operated trolling motors soon.

From what I've read its the deepest waters they have ever drilled in which is making it very hard to repair. Not even sure that they can.

Wether people are tired about it or not its going to affect them.
    this fucking sux balls, but i dont think BP is going to do much just alot of blah blah blah and ponting fingers is what they are going to do. I heard Kevin Cosner and his brother are donating about 27 millions dollars to help out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post

First off, it must be terrible for the people affected by this disaster. My heart goes out to anybody that has been effected in any way.

But that being said and IMO (and this may chap a few asses around here) The media has completely villainized BP, every news station and newspaper has either been focused on one of two things, BP or the Terrorist that was chopped down by the FBI in Detriot. ( After opening fire on agents). Barely one single word about the thousands in Tennesee that lost homes and property in the floods up there. Nobody to point fingers at on that one so..no story.

One thing to consider, there are literally hundreds of oil platforms in the gulf, they all have been operated without incident for years and years.
    If people could only grasp the vast amounts of money that oil companies spend to ensure not only safety of people working in this field, but also for research into safer and more effiecient energy producing technologies. But people are so quick to judge companies like this when a mishap comes about. Most folks can not even comprehend the level of engineering and capital that
    it takes to harvest petroleum products across the world, most just seem to think its a matter of punching a hole in the earth and getting rich. Considering all the elements for disaster that are present within that industry, oil companies have done a pretty damn good job of keeping things safe. We all may not agree or understand fuel prices sometimes, but when Americans across the country log into the news sites with the intent to leave negative comments about BP, they should pause and think before they go to punching away on their keyboard containing petroluem based plastics and about the fuel it took to get that computer from its origin to destination. Just my thoughts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR305 View Post
    this fucking sux balls, but i dont think BP is going to do much just alot of blah blah blah and ponting fingers is what they are going to do. I heard Kevin Cosner and his brother are donating about 27 millions dollars to help out
    I find it ridiculous that anyone is donating their own money to help an oil company out. It sucks that its BP, I would have preferred it to be a Venezuelan oil company. I hate Chavez. But BP should spend every penny its has and then get into debt to rectify a situation that honestly will never be fixed. Thats business, you take the good with the bad. They've been counting their money all these years and now all of it will go out the window. I noticed the focus on electric cars eased up since the gas prices went back down. Maybe this will speed up an economic electric car.

FZS-T
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    I find it ridiculous that anyone is donating their own money to help an oil company out. It sucks that its BP, I would have preferred it to be a Venezuelan oil company. I hate Chavez. But BP should spend every penny its has and then get into debt to rectify a situation that honestly will never be fixed. Thats business, you take the good with the bad. They've been counting their money all these years and now all of it will go out the window. I noticed the focus on electric cars eased up since the gas prices went back down. Maybe this will speed up an economic electric car.

+1000000

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZE View Post
    Haze, I respect your opinion. However, I'm going to take another view - not right, wrong, best, or worst. Just another view:

There is a good chance I, and my children, will end up paying for this mess in one fashion or another (increase in cost of goods, whether it be oil/gas or seafood, loss of fishing habitat, loss of income to my state (Louisiana) due to declining tourism dollars, whatever...). So, when I see an individual, like Mr. Costner, step-up with his own money to make a bad situation better, I'm thinking this: Maybe he isn't "donating their own money to help an oil company out." Instead, maybe he's "donating his money to help the ecology out."

Personally, I'll take all the help we can get: Money, oil booms, the best thing since sliced bread for separating oil from water... Which, BTW, I think is what he is doing, via his brother(?) that holds a patent for doing just this. I had heard something about this on NOLA radio. I'm sure the true info. can be Googled, I was just too lazy... EDIT: Here's just one link of many that I found: http://www.wdsu.com/entertainment/23553391/detail.html

Just my 3 cents guys (inflation, ya' know). Before signing off tho, if any of you GH philanthropist would like to throw some "Costner Matching Funds" to the state of Louisiana , I'm sure we'd all be grateful down here.

Duke you are absolutely correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure they are doing all they can to stop and contain the oil spill. It's in their best interest. Although, it goes to show you, that with all the rigs in the gulf and the technology that goes along with them, it only takes ONE unfortunate incident to cause a major financial and ecological disaster. Even if they stopped the leak today the oil that is out there still has to go somewhere. It's going to get worse before it gets better. Some areas can take 10's of years to recover from this.

+1
    I just hope something works that gives time for the relive well to be completed. Working under water is very hard specially at the depths and temperatures of this rigs.

We already have enough economic issues on the states along the gulf and this can really impact them for years to come.

The marine life specially coral reef are very delicate elements and we may lost them forever. I hope this does not happen so that my kids can enjoy diving and appreciate the diverse marine life found in them.

This particular incident got me thinking about some oil rig projects being done along the Cuban coast by Russia with no regulation whatsoever.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information