Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

msx 150 overheating limp mode?

I am trying to figure this out before I go to the lake today. If the msx 150 overheat light comes on does it go into a limp mode? My light came on while I was in the no wake zone and when I went to give it gas it would just die out but would still idle fine and rev up right above idle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    I am trying to figure this out before I go to the lake today. If the msx 150 overheat light comes on does it go into a limp mode? My light came on while I was in the no wake zone and when I went to give it gas it would just die out but would still idle fine and rev up right above idle.
    Yes it will go in limp mode. Sometimes the turbo manifold temperature sensor goes bad and will trigger an overheat code. Simple way to verify if the sensor is bad..... disconnect it and try the ski with the sensor unplugged. However, you should check for manifold temperature with your hand by touching it..... if it is too hot to keep you hand on it 3 seconds.... then you are overheating.... don't go any further and investigate the cause if that is the case.

My 150 is in limp mode with overhaet light. Mine started as erractic idle and 6800rpm @48 mph. Cleaned top intake tube. Replaced both sensors. Now they both have milky mix on them. Oil level is just above bottom of stick. Questions?

1.) Burt: Did you figure out the problem?
    2.) What is the easist way to clean the intercooler?
    3.) Can you clean further back towards the Turbo?

My 150 was doing the same thing and I changed out both temp sensor and turbo temp senor. Now it runs like new!

Which two are those? I have located the single wire exhaust manifold sensor. Where are these two eaxctly located?

The other sensor is the engine temp. It is located on the intake side. Do what Desperado said "check for manifold temperature with your hand by touching it..... if it is too hot to keep you hand on it 3 seconds.... then you are overheating.... don't go any further and investigate the cause if that is the case."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msx.png 
Views:	346 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	204797

Freaking screen was plugged. All fixed now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Koodat View Post
    Freaking screen was plugged. All fixed now.
    Which screen?

The intake screen that is just inside the pump housing. If you look in the end of it, it is on the right.

If you could please post a picture of the screen. Over the weekend my 150 at 7200 rpm would post a temp over heat, once slowed down it would go off.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information