Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Few questions about a 1200 i just got

Hey guys, I just picked up a 99 gp1200, my first yamaha, the ski was used in salt water.

My questions are, i changed the plugs and looked over it a little, is there anything specific i should look over before taking it out? It is a stock ski, oil injection still used.

One thing i noticed is that its pretty rough at idle.. when i hit the gas it revs up and sounds fine, but then comes down to idle and gets rough again.. is this normal? Thanks for any help, i love these old ski's

+1
    These motors shake alot at idle. Inspect the oil lines and make sure they are secured good. I would go premix if I were you.

+1
    +1 on oil lines, also should check compression on all cylinders. Yeah they definetely do shake alot at idle.

Thanks for the quick replys and great info, i feel a lot better now knowing that... i will be checking the oil lines today, i did notice a little oil on the bottom of the hull, but the guy i got it from filled the oil tank right before i bought it, so maybe he spilled some. Ill double check anyways. I do want to go to premix, is there a tutorial on here on what all i need to do? Thank you again

if the gp is anyuthing like the gpr you cant spill any on the inside becuase you fill it up from the outside..better make shure you check the lines as everyone else is saying..its pretty easy to do the premix, remove the 2 bolts that hold the pump onto the front of the motor, and install the blockoff plate kit which is $18 i believe from island racing, then cap off where you oil lines ran into the carbs..o ya and zip tie the float up in the oil container so it dosent give you a waring saying your oil level is low

Quote Originally Posted by soulraver View Post
    Thanks for the quick replys and great info, i feel a lot better now knowing that... i will be checking the oil lines today, i did notice a little oil on the bottom of the hull, but the guy i got it from filled the oil tank right before i bought it, so maybe he spilled some. Ill double check anyways. I do want to go to premix, is there a tutorial on here on what all i need to do? Thank you again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jplowman2005 View Post
    if the gp is anyuthing like the gpr you cant spill any on the inside becuase you fill it up from the outside..better make shure you check the lines as everyone else is saying..its pretty easy to do the premix, remove the 2 bolts that hold the pump onto the front of the motor, and install the blockoff plate kit which is $18 i believe from island racing, then cap off where you oil lines ran into the carbs..o ya and zip tie the float up in the oil container so it dosent give you a waring saying your oil level is low
    GP fills on inside of hull, and yes going to premix is that easy.

The only other thing I would check is that its sparking on all three cylinders that will let you get some troubleshooting out of the way quickly. If it starts bogging down on you in the water I would assume clogged/bad carbs and don't try to push it if that happens you could run too lean and seize. Just bring it back and rebuild the carbs don't try to rin it with bad carbs. But if it runs good then just have fun. I hope it runs good for you.

+1
    Atlantic jet sports - has the oil blocks for $10.50 ea. ( or at least they priced them to me that much over the phone ) I cant find the exact LINK on their site for 'em

As far as carbs - which aftermarket rebuild kit is better ? I've got 2 GP's to do so I don't want to go bankrupt, but don't want shit either Is this possible ?
    ( other than the OE Mikuni )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Atlantic jet sports - has the oil blocks for $10.50 ea. ( or at least they priced them to me that much over the phone ) I cant find the exact LINK on their site for 'em

As far as carbs - which aftermarket rebuild kit is better ? I've got 2 GP's to do so I don't want to go bankrupt, but don't want shit either Is this possible ?
    ( other than the OE Mikuni )
    Go with Mikuni or you'll be sorry when you take out pistons and cylinders.

I checked to make sure my oil lines were secure too after i noticed a little oil in the bottom of my hull. Turned out that the air box would overflow with a little oil and would leak out into the hull. Guess pressure in the oil lines kept feeding oil into the intake after i turned it off and caused a little overflow. No big deal according to a pwc mechanic i talked to...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information