Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 GTX Limited with dim display and no Beeps

I have a 1999 GTX Limited that I bought broken and would like to know if anyone has seen this. The display is very dim, but seems to work. There is also no beeps when the Dess key is installed. I took it to a local dealer to get the Dess key that I have programmed for this ski. His computer did not detect the Ski at all.

Any Ideas? John

Update:

I spent some more time playing with it and here is the latest.

Without the Dess key installed and pressing the Start/Stop button no sound is heard and the info display turns on.

When the Dess key installed a very faint single short beep is heard. Pressing the Start/Stop button a very faint single short beep is heard and the info display turns on. This is with a key that is not programmed for this ski.

I both cases the info display seems dim.

I looked at the part number if the MPEM and the part number is 278001399. Shouldn't it be 278001398 or 278001525. Could this be causing the problem?

+1
    You could have a weak or intermittent buzzer. The buzzer on my 98 GTXL sometimes works and sometimes is very muffled.

Is the battery fully charged ?

+1
    Do not worry about the beeper at this point. They can work off and on and you probably need a new one but that is not the main problem. The MFD may also be on its way out too, but again, would not keep the boat from running.

I am not sure if you can go by the part number to tell if the MPEM is wrong since SD loves to change part numbers. That said, your's may be bad, or you may have a bad DESS post (which I am kind of thinking based on what happened with the dealer's programmer) and possibly even both.

There is always the possibility of a problem in the harness too, even more so if the boat saw a significant amount of salt water use.

Check your fuses as a blown one will be a good clue and as Canuk said, make sure you have a good, fully charged battery. Then make sure that all the grounds are connected with good contact. If all that checks out I would be thinking DESS post and then MPEM.

I found out why I was not getting beeps. The buzzer was bad. I replaced the buzzer and I get one long beep with an unprogrammed key. This is what I expect. I went into advanced diagnostics and get 2 long beeps with an unprogrammed key. This is what I expect.

My question now is, should the dealer be able to program this key. When I had it there on Wednesday his programmer did not recognize that it was connected to anything. The only thing I did besides replacing the buzzer was reseating some connections. I would hate to drive 1 hour to the dealer for nothing. Could there be another problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Do not worry about the beeper at this point. They can work off and on and you probably need a new one but that is not the main problem. The MFD may also be on its way out too, but again, would not keep the boat from running.

I am not sure if you can go by the part number to tell if the MPEM is wrong since SD loves to change part numbers. That said, your's may be bad, or you may have a bad DESS post (which I am kind of thinking based on what happened with the dealer's programmer) and possibly even both.

There is always the possibility of a problem in the harness too, even more so if the boat saw a significant amount of salt water use.

Check your fuses as a blown one will be a good clue and as Canuk said, make sure you have a good, fully charged battery. Then make sure that all the grounds are connected with good contact. If all that checks out I would be thinking DESS post and then MPEM.
    Yes, you could, and probably do, have another problem since a simple beeper is not going to keep the programmer from talking to the MPEM.

I just put a new battery in it. The old one read 12.5 Volts and the new one reads 12.88 Volts. This is with no load. The beeper seems a bit louder.

Can someone explain how the post could still be bad? I tested it for continuity and it does recognize that a dess key is installed. Does the Programmer do something different? Is the third wire on the post used for communication or is there another use?

+1
    This is copied from someone else so I am not taking credit, or blame if it is wrong, but I believe it to be correct.

Black is ground
    Black/Yellow is the post magnet relay sense
    White/Gray is the DESS signal

This is how it works. When you put the key on the post, there is a magnet in the key that causes the reed switch in the dess post to close, shorting the black and black/yellow wires.

The MPEM starts sending out a sense pulse over the white/gray wire. If there is a key there, the key talks back over the white/gray wire, and the MPEM reads the serial number. If it matches one stored in the MPEM, you get two beeps and the ski will operate. If the serial doesn't match, you get one beep.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    This is copied from someone else so I am not taking credit, or blame if it is wrong, but I believe it to be correct.

Black is ground
    Black/Yellow is the post magnet relay sense
    White/Gray is the DESS signal

This is how it works. When you put the key on the post, there is a magnet in the key that causes the reed switch in the dess post to close, shorting the black and black/yellow wires.

The MPEM starts sending out a sense pulse over the white/gray wire. If there is a key there, the key talks back over the white/gray wire, and the MPEM reads the serial number. If it matches one stored in the MPEM, you get two beeps and the ski will operate. If the serial doesn't match, you get one beep.

Thanks, If this is true it explains why it could still be bad after testing the continuity. I guess the White/Gray wire is used to communicate with the MPEM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information